Leaking and dripping kitchen faucet

Old 01-06-15, 03:34 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leaking and dripping kitchen faucet

Hi plumbing gurus! This is probably a really simple problem, but since I have near-zero clue about home-maintenance stuff, I could use some instructions on what to do next.

For a few months now, we've had a drippy kitchen faucet. The handle has to be placed in some exact magical position to make it stop dripping; the magic angle changes on a weekly basis, but we keep figuring out a new one.

Lately, it's getting harder & harder to find a magic angle that makes it not drip. It's also starting to leak out a copious amount of water at two different points of the handle assembly every time the faucet is turned on or shut off.

I think it's time to stop procrastinating and fix this. What should I do?

The faucet

Under sink (sorry for low quality photo, hard to get good lighting)

Old 01-06-15, 03:50 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
There are kits that contain O rings & cartridges or whatever that model takes. Sometimes they work well & other times they don't. Sometimes removing the handle & tightening the ring under it buys some time as well.

Old 01-06-15, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Yes O rings and a cartridge as pulpo suggests... but......

IMO finding the right size O rings is not easy. Better to just replace the faucet. If your the original owner and its a moen or something they have lifetime warranty. Call them. Maybe they will send you a new faucet...

Old 01-06-15, 04:25 PM
This looks to me like a Delta, they have a lifetime warranty on parts (no labor).
Problem is you need to identify faucet. They have an identifier on line.
You need so many parts they may very well send you a new faucet. Not only is your faucet leaking, but soon it won't swivel either because of the hard water deposits.

Old 01-12-15, 01:15 PM
T
Hey, TY for the replies. We tried contacting Delta. But the faucet was purchased > 10 years ago and the original sales receipt is long-lost, so the warranty is considered defunct.

It looks like we just have to buy a new faucet.

Is this something that I can replace myself, or do we need to hire a plumber to do this?

Old 01-12-15, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
You can replace yourself... Some tools will help such as a basin wrench... may need plumbers putty but many faucets come with a gasket on the plate so no putty is needed...

I recommend moen.. I do not install or recommend any other brand...

Here is moens tutorial on single lever installation..

Installation Help / Animated Tutorials for Moen Faucet

Old 02-05-15, 03:54 PM
T
Hey! So, thanks for the idea to contact Delta!

Even though the rep said they couldn't do anything because we didn't keep the purchase receipt, a mysterious Delta package showed up a week later with repair kit for the faucet. Whatever, right?

Anyway, it was really simple. We just popped the faucet apart and followed instructions in online videos, liberally applied some plumbing grease around all the gaskets, sealed it back up and — magic. No more drip or drizzle.

Old 02-05-15, 04:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,340 Upvotes on 2,999 Posts
The Delta 400 was my all time favorite. It had a rectangular metal base as opposed to the new plastic oval one like you have.

I've noticed the new replacement faucet has a sloppy fit where the arm swivels around the valve. New O rings seem to only help for a short time. I went thru two faucets before returning them for a Moen.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: