Walls around shower leaking, need advice

Old 01-09-15, 11:40 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Walls around shower leaking, need advice

I installed a "drop in tub" when I should have installed a "skirted" tub. There is no edge on my tub to stop water from dripping into the wall. I was hoping the grout and caulk would be enough to keep water from going behind the tub, and it does for a while, but eventually I get water coming through the ceiling below the tub.

Short of replacing the tub, is there a way to keep water from going over that edge behind my wall? Even if there's a cheap way to make it work for a few years, I'd take that option over getting hit right now with the expense of replacing the entire tub (and the tile that would probably have to be replaced.)

What if I added a small, decorative tile row to the bottom, giving another layer of sealant for the water to get through? Is there some way of adding an edge or some other kind of water barrier behind the wall?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 11:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Sadly, drop in tubs aren't made for shower or virulent splashing activity, as the lip is not intended to channel water back to the tub, but, rather away from it. I don't know of any relief that would be foolproof, but adding decorative tile, AFTER you dry out the crack completely and add a good sealant to the crack. Place your decorative tile flush to the tub surface and after the adhesive sets, use a grout caulk rather than pure grout. It will flex better.

Old 01-09-15, 04:38 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I'll give it a try and prepare for a more permanent solution later.