Toilet bowl leaks and rocks--Is flange too high?

Old 01-26-15, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet bowl leaks and rocks--Is flange too high?

I am trying to fix a leaking toilet. It leaks at the back of the toilet at floor level. The bowl also rocks front-to-back. So something is not allowing the toilet to seat properly on the flange that attaches to the sewer line.

How much higher than the level of the floor can the flange protrude into the base of the toilet bowl? Is it best for the flange to be at the same level as the floor? If so I will have to raise the subfloor.

I am planning to put down Allure vinyl flooring (from Home Depot). Should the vinyl flooring pieces go just up to the base of the bowl (rather than under the bowl)? This might allow expansion and contraction of the vinyl.

What about caulking around the base?

Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-15, 07:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
There is some room for the flange to fit up into the toilet. Usually a toilet rocks if it's not sitting on a level surface. The tile should be under the toilet and to the flange. You may have a problem if the underlayment is wet and rotted.

What is the current bathroom floor covering ?
How much higher is the flange currently over the floor ?

Old 01-26-15, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your questions.

The bathroom floor covering was carpet. The toilet bowl is ringed with carpet tack strips with padding in between. The padding has no "give" and had probably gotten wet and dried out. The padding and carpet will be replaced with Allure vinyl tile squares that look like ceramic.

I believe the wood around the flange is not dry rotted. The flange surface is not parallel with the sub-floor. It sticks up about 3/8" on one side and 5/8" on the other side. The flange appears to have two parts. An upper ring is bolted to the lower part with three bolts. The flange is rigid. It may not be anchored to the sub-floor, but I will have to remove the upper ring to get a better look.

Old 01-26-15, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 384 Posts
If you have the toilet off.... a picture would be helpful. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 01-27-15, 07:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 235 Posts
If the toilet rocks it usually indicates some type of damage. I'd pull the toilet and examine the wood around the toilet. It must be absolutely solid or the wax ring will eventually start leaking again.