Water standing in bathtub, but not near the drain

Old 03-03-15, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Water standing in bathtub, but not near the drain

I'm going to put these two things together, since they both involve the same shower/bathtub combo. This is in a condo I just moved in to a few weeks ago.

First, a good amount of water stands in my tub after showering, so obviously the tub wasn't installed properly. Is there a repair for this, or would I have to replace the whole insert?

Secondly, every time I run the sink next to the tub, I hear a sound in the wall that either sounds like a loud drip, or a pipe that is tapping against something. I think it could be a pipe that is not fastened, and pressure is causing it to bang around. I don't think it's a leak (at least there's no sign that there is). Any ideas what it could be, or anything to check it?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-15, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 333 Votes on 311 Posts
I moved your thread from designing bathrooms to the servicing of them.

Water left in the tub ? Does the water pool at the opposite end away from the drain ?
That would be an out-of-level issue. That may be caused by a framing problem.
Is that a cast iron or plastic/fiberglass tub ?

Instead of a loud drip maybe it's a load clang. It is very possible that a pipe was not fastened and is causing that rattle. One way to repair it is to locate the studs in the bathroom. See if the clang is next to a stud. You can open a small hole in the sheetrock and add a spacer between the pipe and the stud or between the pipe and something else nearby to it.

Old 03-03-15, 10:25 PM
The water pools to one side toward the middle of the tub. The left side if facing the showerhead. It is a fiberglass or maybe plastic insert. Thanks for your advice about the pipe noise. Anything about the tub that could be done?

Old 03-03-15, 10:35 PM
Group Moderator
Can you take a picture and post it for us ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 03-04-15, 03:00 PM
Name:  tub.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  13.2 KB http://vid322.photobucket.com/albums/nn411/karlb65/condo/tub%20noise.mp4 Here is a photo of the area where water stands (between the rubber duckies). It's about an 18" span. There is usually more water, but I had already pushed some of it away with my foot before leaving the shower last.

I also made a video of the noise. For about 10 seconds, I ran the water in the sink which is next to the shower. Then I recorded the video to capture the sound. You may have to turn up your volume to hear the noise.

TIA

Old 03-04-15, 03:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Often those tubs are embed in Sheetrock mud to keep them from flexing. I'd guess that wasn't done.

The ticking sounds like my kitchen sink where the idiots didn't install a vent and air is drawn through the drain to replace the air after the sink drains so maybe improper or clogged vent.

Old 03-04-15, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Is the bottom of your tub flexible..... does it settle when you walk on it ?

That noise sounds like a pipe rubbing on wood. I know that noise is heard when you have a hot water baseboard heating system and the heat starts coming up. I've also heard it when hot water is used at a sink.

Old 03-04-15, 04:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Its a tub/surround one piece. Not much you can do short or opening up the drywall, releasing it from the studs and resetting so that proper flow is restored. Or as it puddles in the middle, it may be a defect or as previously mentioned not set in a proper mortar bed.

Does it flex when you step into it? I would believe that most single units would be stand alone and not need additional support, but every unit is different depending on manufacturer.

Old 03-04-15, 05:31 PM
I don't think it really flexes when standing in it. It could be a defect in the tub. As far as my noisy pipe goes. Does it hurt anything if it is knocking or pulling air?

Old 03-14-15, 02:15 PM
Could it be the hot water pipe making expansion noises ?. Does it make the same noise if you just run cold water ?.

Old 03-14-15, 02:56 PM
It does NOT make the noise when I run the cold water, but the water heater is some distance from the sink. The second bathroom backs up to this one, but no noises when I run the water there.

Old 03-14-15, 03:24 PM
I had a similar problem in my old house, and it was, in fact the hot water pipe making expansion noises. I was able to fix it by securing the crap out of the pipe against a the framing, but then this was a basement. Not sure if you can gain access from the other side of the wall, but it seems like a good bet. You can probably narrow down the area just by listening from the other side. Unless the other side is the other bathroom. Either way, your song is exactly like the one I had, so I'm willing to be it is that.