Toilet Issues when washing machine is running ?

Old 03-03-15, 09:47 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Issues when washing machine is running ?

Hello All,

This is my first time posting and I'm not really much of a DIY'er, but I am considering calling a plumber and want to have an idea of what I'm talking about before I do.

Over the past week, my basement toilet (it's a gravity toilet, no pump) will bubble and not flush properly when my washing machine is running. It seems likes it happens during the final part of the cycle. My cesspool was completely replaced in 2012, so I do not think the cesspool could be filled.

When I googled this issue, I read that a clogged vent could cause the issue. We have had a lot of snow and ice (Located in NY) on the roof lately. I took a peek outside and the vent is not completely covered, but I can't tell if there is any ice or anything like that in there.

So I'm thinking about calling a plumber any suggestions on how I should handle it? Thank you very much !

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-15, 08:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
Since this problem did not exist previously my first guess would be a clogged drain line or possibly your cesspool is completely full. If the problem has always existed then I'd suspect a vent problem. It's possible your vent line has become clogged but that's rather rare while a clogged drain line is pretty common.

You're noticing the problem in the basement toilet because it's probably the lowest fixture in the house. If it continues and gets worse you may have sewage eruption up and out of that toilet.

Old 03-04-15, 09:36 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply. I'm going to search for someone to snake the line. I installed a new cesspool not long ago, so I would be surprised if it's filled.

I was able to recreate the issue by simply running two sinks at full capacity and then flushing the toilet. The toilet will not go down so I'm guessing I have some kind of partial blockage.

Old 03-04-15, 10:20 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
It does not take long to fill a cesspool that is not working properly. With snow melt and rain your ground may be saturated so there is no where for the liquid in a cesspool to easily go. Even if it only backed up briefly it might have allowed solids in your drain line settle and form a clog. But in the scheme of things I'd hope for a clog as that's a lot cheaper and easier to fix.