Need help with toilet flange

Old 03-08-15, 08:56 AM
Need help with toilet flange

Bathroom Photos by Eric_Giessler | Photobucket

I'm starting a bathroom remodel nd need some help on what to do with the flange on my toilet waste pipe. I just pulled the toilet, the flange wount budge from the waste pipe. I'm still not sure if we're going to demo the floor tile down to the subfloor. It appears to be pretty thick with wire reinforcement.
The house has all copper pipe, including all waste pipes. I'd like some help on how to remove the flange from the copper waster line. The 4 screws holding it to the floor are out, but the flange wount budge. Is it possible that it's soldered onto the copper pipe? A view from the basement shows what looks like a pressed on flange. House was built in 65. Any help, advise, is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-15, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
The flange will definitely be soldered to the copper pipe.

Ultimately you'll have to cut the copper line below the floor as it would take an incredible amount of heat to break the connections apart.

Can you give us a picture further away from the floor in the basement ?

Your lucky..... copper is easy to work with. Cast iron is a PITA.

Old 03-08-15, 09:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your tile mud bed will be around 1 1/4" thick. Properly prepared subfloor for re-installation of tile would be 3/4" Ply or Advantech, plus 1/2" ply, plus 1/4" cement backer (set in a mortar bed), plus tile. So the height of your toilet flange is still at the correct height when you rebuild everything. I have never had to remove a copper flange, only reuse in place.

Old 03-08-15, 09:48 AM
Thanks PJ, that's what I suspected.

We've started to pop the small mosaic tile off the floor, leaving the layer of mud behind. That's going to put the flange at the correct height when I lay the new tile.

Czizzi, I'm going to lay the new tile right on top of the existing mud base, it's in excellent conditionn.

I think I'm alright, the flange itself is in excellent condition too.

Old 03-08-15, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may have a couple of problem spots from the intense demo to get the mosaic off. Pay attention to the areas around the toilet and near the tub/shower. That is where water could have damaged the subfloor & weakened the mudbed by rusting out the wire lath embeded in it. Its hit or miss, but you will know as you go. Check back if needed for tips on making the mudbed suitable for re-tile.

If needed, shoot us some pics - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...rt-images.html

Old 03-08-15, 10:12 AM
So far it looks really good. Here's a few pics of the mud base. The mud is hard as a rock!
Appreciate the help!Name:  image.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  34.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  47.2 KB

Old 03-08-15, 10:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just did 2 bathrooms at a local hotel build in the 50's. Yours looks like it is releasing easier than mind. Please, please, make sure you have eye protection and heavy gloves. Tile shards will slice you hand open cleaner than a razor blade and you will not know until you say - "hugh, where did this blood come from?" Also, if using a mini jack hammer or other mechanical device to pop the tile, a mask is also necessary. Use negative pressure either with a ceiling exhaust fan or a box fan in the window facing out to dispense with the dust.

Old 03-08-15, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't say they're releasing easily, we're popping them with a hammer and screwdriver, one at a time. Safety glasses on, fan is now in the window. Thanks for that advice.