Should I replace the cheezy dishwasher hose?

Old 03-11-15, 07:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I replace the cheezy dishwasher hose?

Seems even expensive dishwashers come with a 99-cent corrugated discharge hose. Does everyone use what's included or is it a good idea to replace it with something smoother/heavy duty?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-15, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Most dishwashers come with that corrugated type drain line. Most people use it the way it is until it clogs or gets dirt buildup in it.

I put a rubber drain line on my own unit.

Old 03-12-15, 09:35 AM
Dishwasher hose

Scrawny thing just looks like an accident waiting to happen but if "everyone" (besides PJmax!) uses it, then it must hold up better than it looks.

Old 03-12-15, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
Last year I would have said the corrugated pipe works fine and I've never had a problem with them. But... a few months ago I was eventually able to pin down a water leak to the corrugated dishwasher hose. It had developed a fine crack in the corrugations that was invisible to see by just looking at it but would weep when water was being pumped.

Old 03-13-15, 06:46 AM
That's the sort of thing I'm concerned about. When I replaced the old dishwasher I couldn't re-use the discharge hose as it was too short for the new machine and I didn't want to stop the job and run to town for something better. The old hose was looped over a long screw high on a side wall for a siphon break so I draped the thin plastic one over it, too. I KNOW I need to do something about that because sooner or later the vibration & weight will rub through that plastic hose. I'm assuming somebody makes a nifty plastic U-turn to form a siphon break...I've seen photos of similar for routing smaller pex lines...but I haven't spotted anything in the big-box stores or local hardware.

I'm old and suspicious of cheap plastic parts;-)