Bathroom sink faucet won't stop running

Old 03-13-15, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink faucet won't stop running

I need to fix a bathroom sink faucet. The cold water runs all the time even though the knob is turned all the way to closed. I watched some YouTube videos, and read some instructions, but they all said to replace the washer or O ring in the knob. But the water isn't leaking from the knob, it's running out of the tap. I took the knob apart, found there was a missing O ring, so I thought maybe YouTube was right. I replaced the O ring, but it made no difference. The tap is still running when the knob is turned to closed. So what's really causing the problem? What do I have to replace?

This is the style of faucet:
Name:  bathroom-faucet.jpg
Views: 9091
Size:  22.4 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-15, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
The top O ring is the shaft seal. That keeps water from coming out of the handle.

You need to remove the silver cap and then the screw that holds the knob on. Below that would probably be a big brass nut that would need to be unscrewed counter clockwise to remove the cartridge. Be sure to turn the water off before removing the cartridge.

This one in the picture is from a price/pfister faucet. There are many different styles.

Name:  price-pfister-bathroom-faucet-cartridge.jpg
Views: 11119
Size:  29.9 KB

Old 03-13-15, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I removed all that and took it to the store to find an O ring that would fit. What do I have to replace, since the problem isn't being caused by the O ring? The cartridge?

Old 03-13-15, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Yes... the cartridge gets replaced as an assembly. The interior valve parts aren't serviceable.

Many companies have a lifetime warranty on their parts.... including cartridges. So if you buy one now to get the faucet fixed.... contact the company for a replacement, if applicable.

Old 03-13-15, 02:18 PM
So just replace the entire cartridge, which looks like the one in your photo. It's an old faucet, probably from the 1970s. Are new cartridges compatible with it? The faucet says 'Waltec' on it and the Waltec website says they have a 5 year warranty. This faucet looks like it was put in during the 1970s and they require proof of purchase so I don't think they'll give me a replacement.

Old 03-13-15, 05:41 PM
Group Moderator
I believe your warranty ran out a few years ago.

All cartridges are not the same. Some of the home improvement stores have catalogs or charts for looking up the proper replacement cartridge. Usually the cartridges are listed as pictures and if it looks the same and is by the same manufacturer.... you should be ok.

If you look at the parts listing for the current equivalent fixture to yours you can see if they match what you currently have. There are two links. In the first one.... the faucet uses a cartridge. In the second one it uses seals and springs below the part that turns. You need to determine which type you have there.

http://www.waltecfaucets.ca/PDF/MI/2...021F143LF).pdf
http://www.waltecfaucets.ca/PDF/MI/2...2082339LF).pdf

Old 03-14-15, 02:16 PM
Ok, I replaced the stem unit assembly and it doesn't look like it's running in the off position. So that's good. But now it's making a really loud noise, like some sort of animal or a foghorn. How do you stop it from doing that?

Old 03-14-15, 10:57 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure the valves you turned off for servicing the faucet are fully re-opened.

Old 03-15-15, 11:24 AM
I left it shut off overnight and turned it back on today, and it's not making a noise anymore. Seems to be working perfectly now. Thanks!

Old 03-15-15, 12:10 PM
Group Moderator
Great news................

Old 08-08-15, 02:26 PM
Ok... I just went into their apartment to fix something else, and as I'm entering the apartment I hear water running. So I follow the noise and it's coming from the same bathroom sink I fixed a few months ago. I assume they were just lazy and left it running, but when I try to turn it off, it doesn't turn off, just like before I fixed it. It simply won't turn off at the faucet unless I shut off the valve under the sink. Why is it doing it again? It's fixed!

Old 08-10-15, 07:18 AM
Why is the same problem happening again? What is causing it? If I replace the entire sink with a new one, would that end the problem for sure? Or is it something else?