Help replacing toilet flange

Old 03-14-15, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help replacing toilet flange

I'm trying to replace my toilet and have run into a problem. This is typical for my place as whoever did things previously usually did not do them correctly. My problem is the flange for the toilet is broken in more than one place.

I want to pull the flange off and replace, but I don't see how it comes off. I unscrewed the mounting screws and it will not pull out nor rotate in any way. I can't tell if it is a long piece that goes down into the drain tube about 6 inches, or if the flange itself stops at the top where there is a groove. It doesn't seem like it comes apart at the first groove.

Has anyone seen something like this? How can I get this old flange off so that I can fix this mess?

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-15, 05:33 PM
Received 28 Votes on 22 Posts
It is all PVC plastic and the flange is solvent welded to the pipe. They make a special cutter that is used in a drill motor to cut the pipe from the inside. You would have to cut it low enough to allow for the use of a coupling and then a new flange.

D&N Tool, Inc.

Amazon.com: inside pvc pipe cutter

Old 03-14-15, 06:40 PM
ugh.
I kept searching after posting and found that maybe this was the case. I saw some others say you cut if off using a dremel, but I think the tool you linked to is a way better option for me.

I'll take this approach. I'll post results when I have them.

Thanks!!

Old 03-15-15, 05:38 PM
Okay,
So I'm almost done with the replacement of the toilet. I was able to get the old flange off after some doing. I purchased the pvc saw drill bit and made a cut initially at the first groove as you go down into the pipe. The saw however was not big enough to cut through here. So I went down just slightly below that and cut all the way around. I thought it was making it all the way through. But after finished going all the way around found it did not cut through. I took a screw driver and hammer and was able to punch through where I had cut. I had a chisel that had a larger head to it so used that and the hammer to cut through all the way around.
After getting the majority of the flange off, I was able to determine this flange was one that went outside the drain tube. I used the chisel to knock all the rest of it off all the way around as I had purchased both an outside flange and inside flange. After trying to put the outside flange on I realized that was part of the problem of the previous one. It would be super difficult to knock it down far enough to get it to sit low enough. So I opted for the inside flange. I had picked one with a gasket on the outside to give it a good seal between the two pipes when pushed in and not allow any gas back up.
Then measured and mounted the new flange. Even was within a degree of being level.
New toilet is on, but I haven't hooked everything up because I need to do some paint work behind where the old toilet reservoir was. And it's level! Well I did have to use 3 shims to get it to stop rocking, but that is because the tile floor is a little off, but just a little.

I can now add toilet replacement to my list of things I can do. Well assuming it turns out good from here on out.

Attached Images