Help! Can't unscrew faucet cap

Old 03-19-15, 09:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! Can't unscrew faucet cap

I've got a light drip on the bathroom sink faucet and was trying to replace the springs underneath, however, the cap on the top is not cooperating. It seems stuck and I can't seem to get it off. I'm unscrewing counter clockwise, but it isn't budging. I've included a photo here.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-15, 09:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
You're gonna have a bigger drip without replacing the pressure ring after it is all over with. You should have had a Delta tool and undone the plastic ring with the spanner first, then loosen the collar either with a large adjustable wrench or a belt twisted over your hand as a removal tool so as not to scratch the bell. With a full replacement kit you should be able to stop the leak/drip.

Old 03-19-15, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is the first time I'm doing this...If I understand your comments correctly, so you mean I can remove the white plastic piece with a pair of pliers or something first before trying to remove the cap? The only thing I've done so far is unscrew the round faucet handle. When you say I need to replace the pressure ring. What part is that?

Old 03-19-15, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
What he was saying is just get a full replacement kit and you will have all the special tools and parts need for the repair.

Last edited by ray2047; 03-19-15 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-19-15, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
There are two things you can unscrew. The white plastic pressure ring which has the notches in the top edge and the shiny metal part with a large hex. The metal collar often gets stuck in place with mineral deposits so a large adjustable wrench or good strap wrench can really help as pliers or small channel locks usually just bugger up the finish.

Old 03-19-15, 01:25 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
As corroded as that finish is I'd be replacing that whole faucet and having the water tested to see what's causing it.

Old 03-19-15, 01:34 PM
The kit will look similar to this and the wrench has an allen wrench for the handle and the spanner wrench for the plastic collar that is boogered up.

Name:  delta.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  31.4 KB

Old 03-19-15, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
As corroded as that finish is I'd be replacing that whole faucet
I thought the same thing. I've rebuilt enough faucets and had them still leak that I'm not convinced rebuilding is always the best idea. On rentals I could buy a cheap faucet for almost the cost of a repair kit that might or might not fix the problem. A shiny new faucet made the tenant happy and it took less time then trying to fix it and then end up replacing it anyway. Owner got charged about the same and had a happy tenant.

Old 03-19-15, 01:50 PM
Note the kit doesn't come with the boogered collar, so it may be replacement time. I also had a rental owner who insisted on Glacier bay's cellar brands for his units. I didn't mind since they were plastic waterways and I would be replacing them every 3 months I finally talked him into a PP and never heard from him again about that.