Toilet Bowl leak - loosing my mind

Old 03-28-15, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Bowl leak - loosing my mind

I have a powder room toilet which worked fine for 5 years. New contractor install 5 years ago. Then one day we noticed it was leaking from under the bowl.

I replaced the wax ring with one which has the 'funnel' built into it. It was fine for 3 or 4 days, then I see it leaking again.

Next changed the wax ring to one of these fancy 10 dollar rings. Again, ok for about a week, then we see it leaking. No wetness from the supply line or from the tank. Its clearly leaking from underneath. Floor is wet, but nothing above.

So now, I assume the toilet got some kind of microscopic crack. Replaced the whole toilet.

Used a plain wax ring, no funnel, extra thick. No leaks for 3 months, now today its leaking again.

What is going on???? I can accept that the first time I changed the ring, maybe I didn't do it right, but if it was poor installation I would expect to see water within a day, not completely dry for months, then a leak. And the 10 dollar ring was really a no brainer, it was nearly impossible to install that one wrong.

What am I missing? This doesn't seem like rocket science.
Appreciate any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-15, 08:47 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Do you have tile installed on the floor? Is the tile above the plane of the top of the toilet flange? If so you will need to silicone in and screw down a flange extension to bring it up to the height of the tile floor. It can be even a little above it without adverse effects. Then install a wax ring with a bell and your toilet. You are cleaning all the wax ring residue off the bottom of the bowl before you stick the old one on there, right?

Old 03-28-15, 09:26 AM
Chandler- Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, Floor is tile. I don't remember about the exact level of the flange. As I recall is it pretty close to level with the tile, or about 3/8inch above the tile.

YES!! Wax was completely cleaned off when changing the rings.

Old 03-28-15, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Would be hard to give advice without seeing the height of the toilet flange and condition. There are too many variables.

Where do you see the leak?

Aside from wax ring sometimes a tank leak drips down and under the toiler, although you stated you replaced the toilet .

A picture would help but I assume that means pulling the toilet...

Whats make and model toilet..?

Old 03-28-15, 09:59 AM
probably a dumb response but have you ruled out toilet sweat.

The incoming water is probably pretty cold these days and that can cause moisture in the air to condense and drip down. I would assume if it is happening you would see it clearly but thought I would add it in for thought anyways.

Old 03-28-15, 10:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Does the toilet "rock" back and forth at all? If the flange is not solid to the floor, you can loosen the seal by constant use of an unstable toilet. This is possible as the moisture may have degraded the wood underneath the tile so that the flange is not solid to the floor anymore.

Take the handle side of a screw driver and tap on the tile floor all around the toilet area. Does it sound solid or slightly hollow? If hollow, you have subfloor issues from moisture damage.

Old 03-28-15, 12:46 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds like the hold down nuts are vibrating loose. Did you re-tighten them or use lock washers?

Old 03-28-15, 12:53 PM
Just one more thought. Are you sure you installed wax ring correctly?

When the ring is in place, and you are setting the toilet down: The toilet base should be above the floor, not sitting on floor. This is important. The wax ring needs to be compressed by gently twisting the toilet and pushing down until seated.

You can use two wax rings if need be, or they sell extra thick rings.

Old 03-28-15, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

I am pretty sure it is not sweat, as the outside of the tank and bowl are both dry.

The toilet does not rock back and forth. It is firmly to the floor.

Old toilet was Gerber, new one is Kholer and was installed with the thick wax ring.

Right now I only see the wetness in the grout joints of the tile, coming out from under neath the bowl. No water on the tiles themselves, only in the grout. Grout will dry out we go a couple of days of not flushing the toilet.

Sounds like I am looking at pulling it up again, go get another look at the flange.

Old 03-28-15, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Yes that will be best to pull toilet and show us... Hope you have another toilet to use..

We can guide you from there...

Pic pics pics

Old 03-28-15, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I hate to be indelicate, but is there a possibility of someone "missing" the bowl, like a small child just learning to use the toilet? Wild shot, I know, but BTDT.