Water comes out of shower when turned off

Old 03-31-15, 05:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water comes out of shower when turned off

I rebuilt our shower and installed a new Moen shower-only faucet. With the actual faucet handle in the out of the box 'off' position (pointed at 6:00), I turned on the hot water line in the floor. No problem. When I turned on the cold water line in the floor, water began coming out of the shower head even with the handle still off.

Any ideas what could cause this and how to fix it?

Thanks
-Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-15, 05:34 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
Steve, give us the model and maybe some pics.

Old 03-31-15, 06:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Try rotating the cartridge 180 degrees and see if it corrects. Same thing happened to me a couple of bath remodels ago, it startled me, and I recall the fix was simple. I don't use moen often enough but as I said, the solution was simple.

Old 03-31-15, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm at work and don't have the model name or a decent pic with me, but it's a basic Moen shower head only model. No hose. No tub faucet.

I'll try the cartridge twist this afternoon when I get home. I've been hoping it's something along those lines. Seems to fit the description. Boy am I happy I cut that extra access panel in the back before sealing things up.

I'll post results either way and a pic or video of the finished tiling. It came out very nice thanks to a bunch of DYI help and personal interest in no longer sharing my daughters' bathroom.