Help with hole in shower drain pipe.

Old 04-09-15, 06:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with hole in shower drain pipe.

Hi,
noticed water on the garage floor directly beneath the master shower. After removing the access panel I found a hole in the pipe just above the p-trap.
So I will obviously have to replace the drain pipe & assume that means detaching it from the shower basin. Will also replace the p-trap.
Before initiating a slew of Google searches I was hoping that posting here one of you kind folks would steer me in the right direction.

Here are some pics:
you can see the hole in this one.
Name:  IMG_20150409_185958.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  26.2 KB

In this one you can see the drain pipe all the way up to the base of the shower.
Name:  IMG_20150409_190012.jpg
Views: 438
Size:  27.7 KB

question 1) How do I remove the p-trap? Suppose I apply heat using a butane torch but thought better to ask.

question 2) after the p-trap is removed do I then somehow pull the pipe up thru the shower basin?

thank you

Last edited by whatisit; 04-09-15 at 08:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-15, 03:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Looks to be fatal, what type of shower do you have? I can not tell based on the pictures provided. can you post some pictures from above?

Old 04-10-15, 06:10 AM
Sure, thanks czizzi.

Name:  IMG_20150410_064210.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  49.7 KB

In this one you can see to the bottom of p-trap.
Name:  IMG_20150410_064836.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  50.4 KB

I guess the black substance around the pipe is holding it in place & once I have the p-trap removed chipping that stuff away will free the pipe?

All the p-traps I have dealt with had threads. Not sure how this is put together, with some kind of sealant maybe.

p.s. Did you want pics of more than just the shower basin?

p. s. s. Guess I'll remove the black substance & then should only have to loosen one side of the p-trap in order for it to fall out thru the basement ceiling.

Last edited by whatisit; 04-10-15 at 08:48 AM. Reason: post script
Old 04-10-15, 03:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I must admit, that is a new configuration to me. Can you figure how high off the floor the top of the drain is relative to the actual floor in the room itself? Trying to figure out how it is attached to what looks like a cast cultured marble type base. I assume that there is a threaded connection under the base but before it goes through the subfloor as nothing is visible from below.

Old 04-10-15, 03:37 PM
Hi,
I posted to another forum, this & handymanwire are the two I use. After some grinding/cutting it appeared to be a lead seal. Looks like this is what is going on:

Do I have a lead seal on shower drain?
you have a brass flange with a copper drain. it is all sealed with lead. as you have a stone/cement floor you CANNOT simply heat it and have it fall out. the best bet would be to drill the lead out all around the flange. cut the trap on the outlet side before using a chisel and hammer to drive the pipe out.

clean and smooth the drain adapter before installing a new pipe. use a rubber seal, if available, or oakum and liquid lead to seal the new pipe. if it still leaks you may end up replacing the entire showrer base.

think I have a direction now. gonna be harder than I expected.
thanks