Installing a bathtub.

Old 04-27-15, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing a bathtub.

So, I've been reading for a while about installing a tub. I did all the plumbing and the drains. Everything is ready to install. I have to build the wall behind the tub though. Two sides are ready to go with the plumbing installed. The floor is slightly off, so I am going to set the tub in an inch of mortar and level it out.

I would like to set the tub in mortar,hook up the drain, and then build the back wall afterwards. I have full access behind it and the shower walls are direct to stud.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't be the right thing to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-15, 04:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You have the two short walls built and are going to build the long wall after you install it? Is this in an unfinished basement? Just trying to picture nothing on the back wall at present. Fill us in a little more, or post pictures of what you are doing. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 04-27-15, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums..

What kind of tub are you installing?

What does the manufacturer say to do?

Cast iron I use a ledger board and rest the back on that. even though todays cast tubs have legs at all corners...

Depending on other materials spray foam is an option.

Its been 25 years since I set tubs in mortar...

Old 04-27-15, 06:22 PM
Thank you both for welcoming me to the forums. I am installing a Delta 400 tub. Fiberglass/plastic with a plastic bottom that rests on the ground. I am maybe 1/2" out of level on the back side due to taking thinset off the floor. It is mostly level. The side with the drain on it is the high side. The instructions said to use mortar - that is the only reason I was going to use it to level it out.

It was at one time 2 bathrooms. 1 full size and 1 half bath. I knocked down the wall and installed one of those Chinese steam shower jacuzzi replace the old lady bathtubs that filled up the area of the old 1/2 bathroom . The fixtures inside the tub started to corrode and I had a major leak. I decided I have had enough of it. We are adopting a little girl and I will likely need a second bathroom soon anyway. I plan to put the wall back more or less where it was and turn the half bath into a wet room where the toilet and the sink are in the shower. The tub I am installing is going back to where it was more or less and I haven't built the wall as of yet. The steam shower/jacuzzi is installed in the garage at the moment while I remodel the bathroom.

The plumbing is all done. Once I get the tub in, it should only take me a few hours to frame the wall and install the surround. I just can't find any reference of anyone installing the tub first. It certainly gives me more room to install the tub and lets me just store the tub right behind where I will install it.

I was simply going to put 3/4" of mortar down and then push the tub down til it touched the high spot and level it from there on the other side.

Am I way off on what I am doing? I'd hate to install the tub and then find out it made something way off due to the wall not being in place.

Attached Images  
Old 04-27-15, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Per instructions says use mortar to level then remove tub and let mortar cure...

Is that what you read here?

Product Documentation : Customer Support : Delta Faucet

IDK I may do it different.. I may shim it level and spray foam it... Add weight to tub but that you dont have all framing may be an issue...

Old 04-27-15, 07:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
The reason you haven't heard of installing a tub without the back wall is because you are the first to do it what is your reluctance to build the wall framing first? If the tub has a lip, it will need a cleat to rest on.

Old 04-28-15, 03:26 AM
Lawrosa, yes. That is what I am referring to. Shim with standard wooden shims, fill with water, and then spray foam under it? I would certainly build the wall first in this case.

Chandler. I can certainly build the wall first. It is just much more pleasurable to put into place without the wall there. The small bathroom is actually 3 inches wider than the other room due to having 2x6 studs where the bathroom is going. I can drop it down and slide it over from the back very easy. I will have to remove the toilet if I build the wall first. Not a big deal. As far as a lip, there is a lip which I have to screw into the wall.