Type of caulk to use between tub and tile

Old 05-02-15, 11:06 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Type of caulk to use between tub and tile

Our contractor installed a tub last year, and he's pretty sure he caulked it with Polyseamseal. About 10 months later, small gaps developed in several places. I'm thinking it is because there is some flex in the steel tub.

He has removed the caulk and now I am trying to decide what caulk to use this time. Lots of people on this forum recommend 100% silicone, but honestly, I just don't think I could handle cutting it out should there be another problem.

What is the second best caulk to use. The contractor suggests again using the Polyseamseal, but I can't find reliable information on what this is. I've seen information that says it's a pure silicone, and other info that says its an elastomeric acrylic.

I'm just trying to find out 1) what Polyseamseal is, and 2) what brand name
experts out there recommend for caulking a tub if silicone is NOT used.

I'd be very appreciative if you could clarify this for me.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-15, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
I've never been particularly impressed with polyseamseal. It gets hard and likes to crack. I'd probably recommend you find a caulk that matches the grout of your floor tile and use that. There are many brands, just look in the same aisles where the floor tile is sold- NOT with the caulking part of the store. They make sanded and unsanded in almost any color to match either the tile or the grout color. If you want it to look like a gas station bathroom, go ahead and use silicone.

Old 05-02-15, 08:16 PM
M
My problem is not a matching issue. I was just wondering about the actual chemical makeup and brand name of the caulk I should use. Acrylic, siliconized acrylic, acrylic latex, polypropylene, PVC?

Old 05-03-15, 06:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If matching is not a problem and you don't mind the "commercial" solution, you can use a product like this DAP 10.1 oz. Flexible Clear Sealant-18384 - The Home Depot
It seals, is waterproof, mold proof, flexible and adheres to anything. Just be judicious with the application and make your nozzle cut very small. You don't want this stuff on your tub surface or clothing, or even on your hands.

Old 05-03-15, 06:30 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
It helps to keep a rag damp with the appropriate thinner handy. That way any errant caulk can quickly be removed .... keeps your fingers clean too

Old 05-03-15, 06:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I was going to suggest Lexel, but that's some bad weed!! It even sets underwater. Not for novices.

Old 05-03-15, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 720 Votes on 666 Posts
Are you caulking where the tub meets a fiberglass wall surround? Or where the tub meets the tile? Or where the tub meets the floor? or what?

Old 05-03-15, 06:13 PM
M
I am caulking where the steel tub meets the porcelain tile surround. It's actually my contractor who will be caulking. He's ok using whatever I suggest. It's just that I want to get the product right. The polyseamseal pulled away from the tile in places after less than a year.