tolet drain problem

Old 06-09-15, 01:32 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
tolet drain problem

My guest room toilet occasionally got clogged and I didn't know why until yesterday after I took out yesterday intending to replace it with a new one (this is 20 yr old house).

but it looks like the original builder did a poor job lining the drain.
in the picture , toilet should run direction of AB. but the drain runs direction of CD.

Is this something a DIY project? how easy is it to correct it?
I can put a new toilet in. but it will be nice if there is a easy fix

Name:  GuestRoom_Toliet_Drain.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  33.4 KB

Old 06-09-15, 01:40 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It should not make any difference which way the drain runs after it leaves the toilet. What makes you think direction A-B would be any better? The toilet does not know the direction of the drain. The only problem I could see is if the drain line does not slop enough going in the C-D direction. Or does it take another bend down the line to go in the A-B direction? Give us pics of the drain system.

Old 06-09-15, 02:43 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I will take more pictures. but from the current picture, there is a slop D. shouldn't it be near B to align with toilet?

Old 06-09-15, 07:18 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Once the crap leaves the toilet it shouldn't make any difference. Maybe I don't see it the way you do. The drain slops in the direction of D. How it gets to the drain is of no consequence. The toilet flushes and the effluent leaves the toilet trap into the plastic drain and goes into direction D. Any slowness in the drain indicates a clog farther down the drain.

Maybe some of our plumbing experts can see what I don't see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: