Why does just one toilet in a 3 bathroom house develop major mineral deposits?

Old 07-02-15, 07:58 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Why does just one toilet in a 3 bathroom house develop major mineral deposits?

I don't really have an overwhelmingly big hard water problem. My white laundry doesn't turn rust color, and the other toilets don't exhibit a major problem, but one of the 3 builds up huge mineral deposits. It's the same exact toilet as one of the other toilets, and like I said, all connected to the same water from the city. I would have more expected either all of them or none of them to have a problem, but just one?

Very old house, but replumbed, so it's all PVC pipes, circa about 2000.

Old 07-02-15, 08:04 PM
Received 647 Upvotes on 572 Posts
Does this toilet use old steel water lines and maybe the other lines were updated? Are there any rusted parts in the tank?

Old 07-02-15, 08:12 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is that toilet the closest fixture to the water meter? How many floors are in the house?

Old 07-02-15, 08:13 PM
Nope, all PVC pipes now, and the tank itself looks squeaky clean. The bowl on the other hand...

Old 07-02-15, 08:19 PM
@pulpo, it's not the closest, and a one story home. The bathroom sink and bathtub in the same bathroom don't get all minerally. It is a replacement valve, from roughly 5 years ago perhaps. It flushes well after a good cleaning, until the mineral build up messes with the pressure from the main nozzle. Some tough love with a wire hanger (reaming out the main jet and the little ones up under the rim) gets it flushing well again for a while.

Old 07-02-15, 08:40 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
What about a chemical reaction inside the tank? Wild guess.

Old 07-02-15, 09:03 PM
Yeah, no telling. I don't think I've ever tried any of the sit-in-bowl style cleaner things on this, because last time I tried in a different toilet many years ago, it turned into a terrifying looking mush of goop. It is a mystery.

Old 07-03-15, 05:08 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I know that you said that PVC is used but are there two dissimilar metals touching each other somewhere along the line? That can cause a chemical reaction. Did you mean that the fill valve, in the tank is about 5 years old? What about the shut-off valve & the connector? Put on your detective's hat.

Old 07-08-15, 09:14 PM
Good point, Pulpo... there is a bit of metal, from the tank to the wall. It's still a bit odd, one of the other two toilets was put in at the same time, same toilet, same builder. One of life's mysteries, I suppose. Thanks for the help, sorry for the delay replying.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: