Pipe Size

Old 07-06-15, 01:41 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pipe Size

Hi guys, I recently attempted to replace my broken bathroom faucet and ran into a problem. Once it was time to connect the new supply lines from the shut-off valves to the sink, a pipe/adapter broke off the 1/2" side of the shut-off valve.

From the feed water pipe there is small pipe that threads into it and from there I believe there was some type of adapter which threaded over the pipe mentioned previously and then the other end of the adapter was 1/2" which the shut-off valve threaded over.

1. What size do you think my feed pipe is considering its not 1/2" due to the additional pipes in between it and the shut-off valve being used. Also I'm pretty certain its not a 3/8" feed because if I compare the 3/8" fitting on the shut-off valve with the pipe in question the 3/8" looks smaller.

Old 07-06-15, 01:45 PM
B
Name:  pipe.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  13.4 KB Here is a terrible quick picture I drew to help visualize the setup.

Old 07-06-15, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Like the pick on the right many homes in north jersey had nipples off a brass tee in the wall..

Did it break in the wall?

Common was 3/8

3/8" IPS also known as 5/8" OD.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]52863[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-15, 07:16 PM
B
That pictures looks exactly like my set-up except the nipple isn't off a T. After the nipple I am pretty sure there was another adapter piece to make it so the 3/8" nipple could be upped to 1/2" for the shut-off valve.

The adapter piece broke or maybe it was just a section of the shut-off or nipple. My room-mate had the plumber come in and get it fixed while I was at work. Looking at it now, it looks like the picture up above where its just a nipple into a shut-off valve. Could the nipple itself be different sizes on either end? Or am I just mistaken with thinking there was an adapter on the nipple before?

Old 07-06-15, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Usually the nipple is just a piece of pipe with threads on both ends so that both ends would be the same size.

Old 07-06-15, 07:36 PM
B
Well thanks for the responses guys and that picture is awesome. Wish I had asked some questions on this forum about what my setup was before tacking the job myself, would have probably been able to just buy all the parts and save on calling the plumber to finish it up.

Old 07-06-15, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
sry we were not more help... ask here and you will get good advice...........

Old 07-06-15, 09:12 PM
B
You guys were great help! That is the reason I registered on this forum, I've browsed around and used this forum in the past for answers to my questions. Best DIY forum and community I've come across, thanks!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: