Sink filling from drain?

Old 07-11-15, 05:58 AM
N
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sink filling from drain?

I have a situation that makes no sense at all to me and I'm hoping the community can find a simple answer that has so far eluded me.

The second bathroom in my house has a jack-and-jill sink of cultured marble. A few days ago my son noticed that the drain in his sink was clogged. I said I'd fix it and we hustled out the door to school.

We got home late that night, and the sink was MORE full of water than it was earlier! It was late, so I used a cup to scoop water out of the sink and into the toilet and went to bed.

The next morning, the sink was full of water again.

There are absolutely no signs of the faucet dripping, or of water leaking into the sink basin from the base of the faucet assembly.

It makes absolutely no sense that this sink is filling from the drain. The water in the basin appears to be clean water. If the sewers were backed up, the showers and tubs would fill before this sink would. The other sink in this bathroom isn't filling. It simply makes no sense.

On the other hand, I was sure that I'd wake up this morning and find evidence that water is trickling into the basin from the faucet. But it's bone-dry.

I don't for a second believe the basin is filling from the drain. (I needed a catchy title to get you smart folks to read my post!) But the absence of any water near the faucet has me stumped.

How the heck is this sink filling with water?

Old 07-11-15, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
You have A/C in attic? Or somewhere near? Possibly the condensate line is piped into the vent.

Thats all I have, and thats the only thing it could be IMO...

Old 07-11-15, 08:23 AM
N
I just came back to report exactly this. I went to take the trap off the sink and found an extra pipe there. I thought, "What the heck is....ooooooh."

The A/C condensate was draining into this sink, the drain was plugged up, so the sink was, in fact, filling up from the drain.

Old 07-11-15, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
The A/C condensate was draining into this sink, the drain was plugged up, so the sink was, in fact, filling up from the drain.

Just as I thought.....

Old 07-12-15, 07:59 AM
Received 646 Likes on 571 Posts
WOW! Lawrosa, good deduction. I would never have thought of that.

Old 07-12-15, 08:43 AM
That's why he gets the big bucks.

You see this in California. The condensate drain will go to a branch tailpiece, usually 7/8" ID Rubber Hose from the PVC condensate drain to tailpiece.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: