Tub rim slope - Installation is full bubble toward wall

Old 08-03-15, 08:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tub rim slope - Installation is full bubble toward wall

Been waiting for the Corian wall panels to arrive. So to get started on 2nd bath, installer said to use new master bath as water proofing is complete, as is flooring and tile as an apron.

Water splashes onto rim from spout, and runs away from tub. I see having to mop up water forevermore. To me "plumb and square" installation means not only level but water runs to drain and into tub away from walls. Manufacturer notes there may be as much as +/- 1/4" variance in rim, to me this is what a professional installer is paid to deal with.

Comments?
Super wasn't on site much and not speaking Spanish has left me gritting my teeth a few times.

Thanks,
Ron

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-15, 08:26 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Some pics might help. What spout are you talking about? Is it a combination tub/shower? Are there shower doors or a shower curtain? I speak fluent Spanish if you need some help translating.

Old 08-04-15, 04:41 AM
Tablet isn't giving me an option to add or edit to photos, will have to try later

Bottom line is water pools between tub and wall, then runs to non drain end, across the end of the tub and onto floor.

Water also runs down from the end of the tub to the outside lip of the tub toward drain end and pools between tub lip and tile eddging.

On the drain end, water from the spout splashes onto the lip and pools between tub and wall until the diverter is pulled.

Mopping up from a short shower soaks a bath tower. Can't see having to mop up like this every time shower is used, and how long till water soak behind the facing tile?

So in other words, any water splashed out of the tub pools against wall and then runs to floor. A line level has a consistent 1/2 or full bubble slope to wall away from tub.

Old 08-04-15, 04:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
It sounds like you have a drop in tub set on a deck with a couple of inches of tile between the tub and the tile walls. If this is the case, there is nothing you or your contractor can do. This type of tub is really designed for a bathroom with a separate stand alone shower and the tub is for baths only. To remedy, you will need to install a 360 degree shower rod and install a curtain that runs completely around the tub.

Here is how to install pictures - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-04-15, 04:49 AM
Temporarily Suspended
I agree, the curtain is the easiest & cheapest solution.

Old 08-04-15, 05:04 AM
So shimming to give a 1/8 bubble to drain into tub is unreasonable? LOL, all that fancy Corian in lieu of tile with a shelf unit and cover it with a curtain. There's some money well spent.

Old 08-04-15, 05:14 AM
Temporarily Suspended
No one said unreasonable. Try the shims, if you think they might work. I don't know how the shims will prevent splashing.

Old 08-04-15, 06:06 AM
Way too late for DIY. Tub is fully installed less Corian panels. Only reason water has been in it. Splashes are normal. Hard to accept it's normal for splashes to not drain back into tub but rather drain around tub against wall till they drain onto the floor in less than a minute of showering. And for the water that doesn't drain remain against wall. LOL, even a shower floor has a slope to the drain. Unless one has a water closet, the floor isn't generally considered a drain.

I'm also wondering how I as a consumer could/"should" have learned about this potential and perhaps opted for the non-soak tub.

Old 08-04-15, 06:22 AM
Ops, meant to thank you. Yes, that's the type tub, tile is only at the head. Back of tub and foot rim lip is to walls. I understand the product is 1/4" thick, so it won't be out to the edge of the tub.

Old 08-04-15, 09:32 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If you don't want to install a curtain & the other solutions are not DIY, I don't know what else can be done besides trying to force the contractor to repair it. Have you paid for the job in full?

Old 08-04-15, 09:56 AM
I agree, the only way I see to repair it is to rip it all out.

I don't want to raise a stink if what I see is "normal" and I could have been more clear when I asked about "concerns"?

I personally think a lot more care should have been taken with the framing, "but" is that reasonable? Will I be guilty of hiding questionable workmanship from the next owner? Not planning to be in the house in 8 years.

I know it's a waterproof membrane, but standing water after every use? Some concern there too. Is it "reasonable" for a home owner to have to mop up water after every shower?

No, the job hasn't been paid in full yet, payments per stage and getting the Corian delivered has been a problem. Alleged lost shipment, "It being flown out." (OK . . .) and still waiting.

I do feel for them, it has been a drawn out job and the plumbing was a real interesting ordeal. Had the loo extended to 12" and moved over 4" for the soak tub. They were afraid they would have to rip out an entire junction under the floor of the hall bath on the back side of the master. Ended up getting a flange cutter FedExed so they could use the original stub. That cost them 2 days while dug under the hall bath, decided on what to do, and two more waiting for the tool. There was some discussion about tool cost sharing but I think as the time line dragged out from July 22, they have decided to let it go. Sadly, I missed that job, I had hoped to see the tool in use, and have to "hope" they filled back in under the hall bath slab.

Old 08-04-15, 01:38 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't want to raise a stink if what I see is "normal" and I could have been more clear when I asked about "concerns"?
It doesn't sound normal & don't blame yourself for not having a crystal ball. Insist that they find a way to fix the problems & hold the money until they do.

Old 08-04-15, 02:59 PM
It looks like everything is going to be taken care of. The scheduler/message taker right away said "Yes, there is a problem and you're taking it much better than I think I would." Later the foreman called, right off said yes, this is wrong and we're going to get it fixed. Asked right off if the excess tile used for the apron was still on site. Said he is going to personally do the work. I appreciate all the help Pulpo & Czizzi and the confirmation that I wasn't expecting too much from the type tub we purchased.

Ron

Old 08-04-15, 03:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It sounds good. Let us know how it gets resolved .

Old 08-04-15, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Please, get your camera out and document everything. Again, show us what you have and what then plan on doing.

Old 08-05-15, 09:44 PM
Well after the foreman didn't show up and spending a few more hours educating myself, I think I'm messed over. One possible solution, but the tub is already tall to step over and get in. Bottom line is just as Cizzi said, a drop in soak tub isn't made to be used with a shower and it can't be shimmed to slope in. Finally the pictures (Maybe. 3rd upload failure. Size? Yes, 72" wide is a No Go. How does a cell picture get 72" wide?):
Name:  BathFoot.jpg
Views: 1317
Size:  21.5 KB
Where water pools under shower head.
Name:  BathHead.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  21.7 KB
Head of tub where water runs to from the wall edge. Level LOL? And then over the trim and onto the floor.
Name:  BathEdge1.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  16.1 KB
Apron that the water flows down and over the metal trim.
Name:  BathEdge2.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  10.7 KB
And the lovely 1/16" proud metal trim. Who leaves metal trim 1/16" proud???

Could this be salvaged with stone cut like a picture frame and sloped into the tub??? Thus adding ~ 1" to 22-1/2" height. Other options are not use shower, or rip is all out to do it right meaning a new tub and $$$.

Oh joy. How about a simple, "I'm sorry, but these tubs aren't designed to be used with a shower. You will have to consider some other options."

12:47 AM with a 5:30 wake up. Man @ 57 I'm finding it tougher and tougher to sustain this. Just had a second vertigo attack of the day.

Last edited by Shiseiji; 08-05-15 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Remove duplicate picture.
Old 08-05-15, 11:51 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Once water lands on the dark horizontal tile that surrounds the tub on two sides, there is no way it can drain properly. All the slope in the world wouldn't help. Are shower doors supposed to be installed or any curtain at all?

Old 08-06-15, 03:53 AM
Curtain. But unless it's circular, in the end that won't make any difference. It's the water at the foot and wall that's draining to the head and then to the floor. The current curtain covers the outer edge.

Wrong tub, and there it is. I've seen an installation where they did stone like a picture frame. The last picture I found after much time searching through installations. And I found only one with a metal tile edging strip. However the tub is already 22-1/2" tall and I don't fancy adding another 1-1/2" to that. I'm 73" and have to step high to get in. My partner is 60" tall and I ordered a step to get in, she still has to get out.

I think the 1st step now it to find a 72" tub that will work with a shower. I'm prepared to eat the cost of the soak tub and the replacement, but want them to eat the labor. To me this is something the estimator "should" have known about.

Old 08-06-15, 05:11 AM
Temporarily Suspended
If it's wrong, it's wrong. Do your best to make a deal, for a replacement.

Old 08-06-15, 10:17 AM
Right now they are very pleased with how understanding we've been and the offer is a new tub or else, if we decided we like it, bring the membrane down over the tub lip and then tile to turn the tub into an under mount. Tile will extend over the apron tile to get rid of the metal trim. The latter is really going to depend on how much it increases the height. We've decided we can probably do a 1/2" but no more.

Old 08-06-15, 05:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Your tub does not have a tile flange, so modifications to the existing will not make it waterproof. Simply building the walls out to come over the tub is not the solution. You would then be a slave to the caulking holding and not cracking out to waterproof the area. They need to, if they are offering, to remove the tub, reframe the opening, and finish the install on an approved tile ready tub.

Old 08-07-15, 05:11 AM
What's under discussion is to extend the membrain over the tub edge. Install a tile "picture frame" beveled to drain into the tub and reaching to the wall. Tub is now an under mount. Then install the Coregraph wall surface to the top of the tile. Yes there will be a caulk line, but it will be over the membrain that is now a double layer under and over the tub rim. Water that penetrates the caulk line "should" not penetrate the membrain. If it does, it has to also penetrate the second layer of membrain to cause structural damage. No more of a PIA calk line to maintain, which I do truly hate, then a regular tile to tub junction. When I'm off the tablet I'll post a link to a picture of an install.

Old 08-07-15, 01:00 PM
Example of creating an under mount tub.
John Whipple Any Design Ltd.
Name:  Tub_Undermount_Edge.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  28.8 KB