older tub faucet leaking need help


Old 08-06-15, 07:09 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: new york
Posts: 359
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
older tub faucet leaking need help

Hi All,

I have an older faucet in my tub/shower that is dripping a bit. Attached is a picture of it. There is no info stamped on the faucet so I am not sure how to go about finding a seal kit for it to change. I am assuming I can take the seals out and take to the store to match up. I was wondering if anyone out there has repaired this type before. I am not sure how each faucet comes apart to remove the seal. If anyone can assist, lName:  faucet.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  18.3 KBet me know. Thx
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-15, 08:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,986
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Of course, shut the supply valves, remove the handles with the screw in the middle, unscrew the stem with a pipe wrench or offset pliers & change the washers. There is a chance that the seats could be bad but try that first.
Old 08-06-15, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 20,762
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
There are a couple very common washer sizes for older faucets like yours and quite often they are sold in a multi pack. I would pick up the washers first since they are pretty inexpensive then turn off the water and disassemble the faucet.
Old 08-06-15, 04:15 PM
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 36
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you take the valve stem(s) into a hardware store they can give you the proper washers. Most likely they are only 25 cents a piece or so...
Old 08-06-15, 07:01 PM
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 44
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The first step is to shut off the main water supply. You then need to remove the cover on the handle that has the H on the hot and the C on the cold. Behind the cover there is a screw that needs to be removed. The screw is most likely phillips drive. After the screw is removed, the handle needs to be pulled off and that can be very hard to do sometimes. If that is the case then you may require a special tool called a handle puller. After removing the handle, you need to remove the escutcheon which is the flange; it is unscrewed off. Once it is removed, you will probably see some putty or caulking in the hole around the stem. Just knock it out with a chisel and hammer but be careful not to chip or crack the tile. Finally you can remove the stem but you need a stem key which is also known as a plumber's socket. It fits over the hex pattern of the stem so that you can unscrew it out. There are two hex patterns. One is the packing nut and the other is the stem itself. The stem itself is the hex pattern furthest back. I would strongly recommend replacing the seats,stems, and handles. Danco sells kits that have everything you need bundled together including the stem key so that you don't have to buy one.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title: