Cannot Remove Shower Stems or Handles- Stuck

Old 08-06-15, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cannot Remove Shower Stems or Handles- Stuck

Hello everyone,

I am working on a much older three handle shower/tub setup. I believe the stems are either Gerber or Price Pfister but more likely Gerber. I need to replace the stems or at the least replace the rubber washer on the end of the stem. However, I can't remove the handle on two of the stems; they are so frozen they will not budge. Remove the screw wasn't that bad but the handle itself will not come off. I know there is a special puller for that but is there anything I should try before resorting to the puller. I lubricated it hoping it would help break it free but it didn't make a difference. One handle I was able to remove but I couldn't remove the stem. I was using the stem socket and turned very hard but the stem would not move and the socket would just slip at a point. An adjustable wrench fits on the stem since it sticks out enough but it still doesn't turn. My only idea is to use a torch but I see no way of getting one through that little hole with the exception of a pencil torch but I don't think it will work. Anything I should try to help loosen it up?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-15, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 374 Votes on 351 Posts
Sounds like Gerber.

I used a gear/pulley puller to remove the handles on several that I rebuilt. They also sell an inexpensive tool. No pre-lubing or prep will really help.

Name:  handle remover.jpg
Views: 801
Size:  31.4 KB

You replied to a recent thread. Do you have the same valves as that thread ?

Old 08-06-15, 09:12 PM
I don't have the same ones as in that thread. I almost sure the ones I have are the ones at this link. for GERBER RK1827 3 VALVE OLD STYLE REBUILD KIT | Plumbing and Heating supplies | NY Replacement Parts | 800.228.4718

Old 08-09-15, 08:59 PM
I took a picture of the handles and one of the exposed stems. I cannot remove the cold water handle or hot water handle but I was able to remove the diverter handle. I cannot however remove the stem. I feel that the only option might be knocking the wall out and replacing the whole faucet.

Name:  DSC_1146.jpg
Views: 1646
Size:  19.9 KB

Old 08-09-15, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Hold on a moment!!!!! .

Old 08-09-15, 09:32 PM
Don't worry, I'm holding off using that hammer in the corner of the picture.

Old 08-09-15, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 17 Posts
Since you have new trim from the kit you show I often just break the handles off. Its white metal and soft...

Youll break the stems doing this but you have new...

I would try a handle puller first. I am 30 year plumber so been doing these a while...

Then forget the stem removal wrench. What I use is a socket with flats like this pic..

Socket on stem and use a large adjustable wrench to loosen. CCW remember.. lefty loosy...

Basically these are spark plug sockets..

( This is a trick of the trade only plumbers know...LOL )

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54469[/ATTACH]

Attached Images