Sewer Smell

Old 08-08-15, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sewer Smell

Ok, So I been doing little research on my bathroom sink..when I run the water I'm getting this smell for a few seconds. I'm guessing when my toilet is flushed its cause that P-trap to be sucked drain.. which means venting issues..right?? possible vent clog..that keeps sucking that P-trap dry. if so.. then my question is..it has to be snaked through the roof??? what I did do was after I had flashed the toilet left it for a while and then I poured some water to fill that trap and I got no smell. Am I on the right track? any other suggestions would be appreciated. How many feet when snaking should be put through. I do have a 25ft rigid snake..not sure if thats long enough.. but I guess I could try it and see.. if not renting one is my next plan.. would 75ft work? I do have 2 bathrooms back to back.. the other bathroom water doesnt run to often does this make any diff.?

appreciate the help

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-15, 10:39 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 173 Posts
It can also be stale moldy air from your sink overflow tube, which has nothing to do with the trap. It's not likely your trap is being sucked out, but you could test it by simply running the sink, shut the wtaer off, take the trap apart, measure the water you dump out. Then retest by doing the same thing but flush the toilet. I really doubt the toilet is sucking air since the toilet is always tied closely to the main stack, it should have "no trouble at all" venting itself.

If the sink (or sinks) have not been plumbed correctly, that could be an issue. But don't know why you would just notice the problem now.

Old 08-08-15, 10:43 AM
Thanks, Ok I will try that.. and if it stale air..what can I do about that?

Old 08-08-15, 10:54 AM
ok..here's what I tried 1st.. I filled the trap, I removed the stopper and flushed the toilet.. and looked down the p-trap.. and no water had move from the trap..would this rule out measuring the water in the trap? so that would leave the overflow?? how is that treated?

Old 08-08-15, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
You'd want to clean and disinfect it. If you test your theory, you will have the trap apart anyway... so while you have the trap apart, clean it to get the nasty moldy residue out of there. That will eliminate that as a possible source of odor. While the trap is off, put a sandwich bag around the tailpiece and tie it on with a rubber band. Put a bucket under there to catch anything that spills. Then pour some bleach down the overflow tube. If you had a pipe brush, you could clean the inside of the overflow tube with that.

If your toilet was sucking air from the sink, putting the stopper in would have no effect since it would then draw air from the overflow. Like I said, I doubt the toilet is sucking your trap out.

Old 08-08-15, 11:48 AM
my overflow.. is just below the drain..which makes it little hard to get to.. any tricks to pouring anything into them

Old 08-08-15, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Huh? You mean below the faucet? Post a pic if you need to. If its in a hard to reach spot, cut a piece of heavy paper or plastic and curl it into a half curve funnel.

Old 08-08-15, 12:45 PM
here is the sink..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54360[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 08-08-15, 12:48 PM
the overflow is just below that drain which is still part of the basin

Old 08-08-15, 10:38 PM
Group Moderator
Oh, sorry- i guess for some reason I was only thinking about the sinks with the overflow visible in the sink bowl. It would probably be just as easy to replace the tailpiece/stopper as it would be to try to clean it.

My guess is still on raunchy water residue in the trap and/or tailpiece w/overflow.