Kitchen sink faucet has become hard to turn, is unscrewing itself from the sink

Old 08-18-15, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen sink faucet has become hard to turn, is unscrewing itself from the sink

This is a bit hard to explain so I will first link this picture:

Imgur

Basically, the part of my sink that is supposed to rotate has become very hard to turn. It's been a gradual change, I suppose it is getting dirty or rusty somewhere. It was a cheap faucet that came with the sink.

It has become so stuck that it is causing the base of the faucet to become unscrewed from the sink. If I turn it with a lot of pressure, I can see the base rotate, the plate that covers the holes for attachments rotates, and from underneath the sink I can see the threaded part rotates too.

Any ideas on what is wrong? I wouldn't mind replacing this if it has just become worn, but if there's a good way to fix it I would prefer that.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-15, 04:55 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It was a cheap faucet that came with the sink.
That answers your own question. You can still disassemble it if you want to take a chance that it can be repaired.

Old 08-18-15, 05:02 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Needs to be tightened up under the sink.
Know the brand? Contact the company directly and I'd bet they would send you a rebuild kit for free.
(tell them it's leaking)

Old 08-18-15, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
After tightening it under the sink you can easily take it apart to work on.

Turn water off first.

A is a nut that can be unscrewed after removing the handle.
After removing A the B part will lift straight off. It could probably use some new O rings and a little silicone grease.

Name:  faucet.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  27.1 KB

Old 08-19-15, 06:44 AM
Thanks for tips. I took it apart and here's what I see inside.

Dirty faucet - Album on Imgur

I did not find any O rings that were worn. Maybe some are missing entirely? The second picture seems like the most obvious culprit. All that gunk, I don't even know what it is or how to clean it off. But I'm having a hard time visualizing how it's supposed to work. Since the piece immediately above it screws down into the piece below it where the gunk is, wouldn't that mean those parts are supposed to move together, and not glide against each other?

Attached Images  

Last edited by richpodraza; 08-19-15 at 06:45 AM. Reason: sorry still trying to figure out how image attachments work...
Old 08-19-15, 12:11 PM
You took the faucet apart in the wrong place. Reattach the bottom and tighten everything from below the sink. Make sure faucet is aligned properly before tightening.

After faucet is reassembled and tight, you can start taking it apart from above. See PJ's post, you want to remove section B, which is the body.

Expect to see mineral build up on the inside bottom machined surfaces of body. You will need to clean the inside with CLR or Lime away and maybe even scrape a little. Get a new O-ring and apply plumbers grease to the mating surfaces and O-ring.
If this happens to be a delta faucet, they will send you a new body and whatever else you need for free.
Other companies have similar warranties.

Old 08-19-15, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the help. I tightened it from the bottom and then took off the top, and it was a little easier to clean, but still not much came off. After putting it back together it still moves about the same.

The brand is Glacier Bay, which I just found out means it's Home Depot store brand. It came with the sink (which is doing just fine) and the total was probably around $300. I'm not sure if it's under warranty but I'm not finding any info online. Any ideas?

Old 08-19-15, 05:21 PM
Replace it if at all possible. I would be very surprised if there is any customer support whatsoever.