Old toilet, worth keeping?

Old 08-18-15, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old toilet, worth keeping?

I had to replace my old toilet today because there was a wall in the way of the tank I know at one time these were desirable because it is the older one that uses like 3-4-5 gallons per flush. I don't know what year it was made but it was in my house that I bought in 1986. Is it worth anything, should I toss it or make a new seat in my living room? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-15, 05:42 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I personally can't think of a single reason OR excuse for saving an old toilet. Some people have used them to make a planter but I think that is just tacky.

I see toilets available on Craig's List every day so you might try that if you decide to get rid of it.

Old 08-18-15, 05:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Tacky is as tacky does. Living out in the sticks allows us some leeway in things. My dad grew the best tomatoes in his toilet bowl. No tank, just the bowl sitting out by the Muscadine arbor. The way the crook works keeps just enough water at the base of the plant while letting the excess go out into the soil.

Old 08-18-15, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I did a remodeling job in 1993 and added a few baths, including one in a large laundry room.

We kept a tank form an old toilet, seeing as the bowl was cracked. Pure White Porcelain, it had the standard base for sitting atop a new bowl . . . . and it really works good.

Many people say that the newer water saving toilets work fine . . . . as long as you're prepared to wait and flush a 2nd time. What's the percentage in that ?

My Plumber, way back then, refused to set the old tank on top of the new bowl . . . . and said he'd finish the job with no problem; but he could lose his license if he did the final install; he was that intimidated. So I did the dirty deed, and put the 5 or 6 gallon tank on top of the new bowl.

Is it legal to sell, or advertise . . . . or even give away one of those evil big toilets with the outrageously large tanks? I don't know . . . . but as long as it's not olive green, or salmon, or pink or something weird, I think there's a market for it, or at least the tank.

Old 08-19-15, 01:51 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Many people say that the newer water saving toilets work fine . . . . as long as you're prepared to wait and flush a 2nd time.
Quite honestly, it depends upon the toilet. In fact, it has ALWAYS depended upon the toilet for the quality of flush. My first house had the original "washdown" toilet, the kind that had the trapway in the front and the waste exited the bowl from the front. That was the worst toilet I ever used and it would either not flush properly or plug if you looked at it cross-eyed even though it probably used seven gallons of water per flush.

My current toilets are Toto Carlyle one-piece models with a 1.6 gallon-per-flush rating. I would say the times that it took a second flush to clear the bowl would be 1% or less. My sister's house had low grade Mansfield toilets and they would plug if she used more than four squares of toilet paper. I had one Toto Drake installed for her and that toilet has never given her any problems.

Toilet quality and the effectiveness of the flush is directly related to the cost of the toilet, even today. It is absolutely true that the first generation of low-flow toilets were real dogs but since that time the manufacturer's have learned from their mistakes and only the lowest cost toilets now suffer from poor flush performance.