Toilets Splash when flushed

Old 08-18-15, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilets Splash when flushed

I just bought a house and it is great, except for the toilets. Everytime I flush them they splash up droplets of water, which is aggravating me. They don't flush in the normal circular motion as all the water just gets pushed from the edges down the center. Almost like a waterfall. Further, I have to flush twice to get everything down. Is this fixable or am I going to have to replace all three of these troublesome toilets? I would expect better toilets from a house constructed in 2008. Can anybody give some advice? Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-15, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Welcome to the forums...

Probably cheap gerber toilets or some builder grade crude..

Post the model or a pic..

Take a pic of the inside tank too...

Let us know...

Old 08-18-15, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator
You'll need to provide more info or pics. Inside the tank there should be stamps with brand and model.

Yeah, even in 2008 there were still crappy designs, esp contractor specials. If it was a spec house, even worse. I'm living in a spec rental...the toilet seats are barely 13" off the floor. You know what that's like with old broken knees?

Old 08-19-15, 09:27 PM
Here are a few photos of the toilets I have. I'm not sure of the model number, but the maker is Eclipse? They are 1.6 gallons/flush and are made in Mexico. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  28.5 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  23.0 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  19.4 KB

Attached Images  
Old 08-20-15, 05:22 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
If the water does swirl in the bowl I suspect the holes under the lip may be corroded. A stiff wire and cleanser may help clean them up.

Old 08-20-15, 02:23 PM
No swirling in this bowl, everything just rushes down the center.

Old 08-20-15, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
After the tank stops filling how high is the water level?

IMO those toilets are sub par..

I would look into replacing them..

Do they clog often?

Old 08-20-15, 09:41 PM
The tank is a little more than half full when it stops filling. I think if I keep my hand on the flush valve, everything goes down. The thing that annoys me the most though is the splashing. If I need to replace all three of them, I guess it is what it is. I'd like to keep my bathrooms as sanitary as possible.

Old 08-21-15, 05:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
While it seems strange to suggest reading up on reviews of toilets, I have in the past. I had a hotel that wanted to save money over the suggested toilet I wanted to install in about a dozen rooms. They had been in Sam's club and saw a toilet that was less than $100 for the whole thing. Upon reading reviews on that particular toilet, one of the main gripes was that it splashed when flushed. Researching other bargain toilets, I found some similar comments, so your situation may be a design flaw of that make of toilet.

While adjusting the float will allow more water into the tank and therefore assist with getting solids to flush the first time, I don't think the splash can be addresses without upgrading.