Shower vibrates between cold and hot / low pressure

Old 08-21-15, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower vibrates between cold and hot / low pressure

Hello. My sister has an issue with one shower in her house where it starts to vibrate when changing the temp from cold to hot and she also seems to lose pressure when switching it to hot as well. I actually changed out the cartridge last night thinking that would help, but it didn't. It's a Delta brand. I don't remember the exact model off the top of my head, but I snapped a pic of it and hopefully it helps. I didn't notice anything else to look at inside the valve when I took the cartridge out. It was just the three holes with no gaskets/springs or any other kind of mechanism. What are some other things I could check out?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  23.7 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  23.7 KB

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-15, 05:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
The balancing valve in the cartridge would have been my guess. Odd that the problem remains after replacing it. Was there any change at all in how the faucet/shower performed with the new cartridge?

Is that galvanized pipe I see to the right of the valve body?

Old 08-21-15, 05:47 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Is there play in the assembly?

Old 08-21-15, 03:46 PM
She said it was easier to turn the knob with the new valve in there. . Right after I first installed the new cartridge, it was doing the same thing it originally was doing. It looked like at one point after turning it on and off several times the pressure would be normal (hit or miss), but I just called her and she said its still doing the same thing. As far as the vibrations go, its very moderate. Its not loud at all and it doesn't bang against the wall or anything like that, but it is noticeable.

The assembly has very little play.

They just recently bought the house, so we don't know if this has always been an issue with the previous owner or not.

Here are pics off the net to show what everything kind of looks like:

Cartridge: http://cdn.instructables.com/F95/BXV...38I5.LARGE.jpg
Valve: https://www.ridgidforum.com/filedata/fetch?id=635701 (focusing on the center piece)

Old 08-21-15, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
Can you move the valve body or faucet at all? It should be securely attached to the framing so it doesn't move. If it can move a bit I'm wondering if the flowing water is making the valve and piping move or oscillate.

Old 08-21-15, 10:51 PM
I don't have pictures of it but I remember it being pretty secure. I had to pry out the old cartridge because it was stuck in there pretty good and I remember the valve body / piping was not moving much. Other than replacing the cartridge, I'm not sure what else to look at, so I just told her that if it continues to bother her to have someone come and look at it. The only reason why I did the cartridge was because she told me someone wanted to charge her close to $500 to do it...