Moen shower heads keep leaking

Old 08-22-15, 01:49 PM
Moen shower heads keep leaking

Hello everyone,

I have two Moen caldwell shower heads that keep leaking because the rubber washers inside the head keep getting stuck inside the shower arm when tightening it. I am following the instructions and hand tightening it only. I do not use any tools to tighten it and I do not use any thread tape as instructed. Also, I did try using thread tape just to see what would happen but it had no effect. These shower heads are less than a year old. When I first installed them there was no problems and it was very easy but now it just refuses to make a good seal. I put a new rubber washer inside but I have the same problem regardless.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-15, 02:13 PM
Are you sure they are genuine Moen part replacements? They should be seated in the connection before you tighten it down. And only hand tighten then maybe just a bit more.

Old 08-22-15, 03:02 PM
Do you mean if the new rubber washers are genuine Moen parts? The rubber washers I bought are for shower heads and manufactured by Danco. They appear to be identical to the original Moen gasket. I will try reinstalling it again but it seems that it may be hopeless.

Old 08-23-15, 04:58 AM
I've used DANCO and they are OK, but they are not as good as OEM. If you continue to have problems call MOEN.

Old 08-23-15, 05:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I do not use any thread tape as instructed.
Use the tape AND some pipe paste. Wrap it several times in a clockwise direction around the pipe and make sure it covers the very end of the shower arm coming out of the wall. Add a small amount of thread paste around the very tip of the threads all the way around. Then carefully thread the shower head on to the arm making sure to not cross thread. Hand tighten plus around a quarter turn should be sufficient. Turn on the water and check for leaks, tighten a little more as needed to stop the leak. I will be honest, I have never had a leak from this connection, so following these procedures should take care of your problem.