Bathtub spout doesn't fit right.

Old 08-23-15, 11:51 AM
Bathtub spout doesn't fit right.

Just installed a new shower valve and went to put the bathtub spout on. I can not find a 1/2" pipe that is the correct length. A 6" sticks out from the wall too much and 5 1/2 is too tight. I went to Menards and put together all sorts of combinations to try to get something to come out at about 5 3/4" but had no luck. I don't have a pipe die threader and don't want to buy a tool for a one time use. I don't know any one who has one. Surely there is an easier way to do this? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-15, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator
Are you looking for brass nipples for your issue?

This is a slip on spout correct?

Get a longer nipple and cut to size with a hack saw.. ( You should be cutting the threads off on end anyway..

But these spouts are made for copper pipe. Brass nipples and copper OD is different..

So I am not sure what you are doing...

Old 08-23-15, 12:15 PM
Sorry, I should have been more specific. This is a screw on spout . It goes on to 1/2" pipe.

Old 08-23-15, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator
Oh OK...

I make them out of two copper male adapters and a piece of 1/2" copper..

You need to know how to solder though..

I am not sure the shortest nipple home depot can cut for you as they have a threading machine..

Buu a 10" nipple brass and see if they could cut it for you to the size you need..

I believe 4" is the shortest nipple they can cut and thread as thats what fits in the machine...

Last edited by lawrosa; 08-23-15 at 12:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-23-15, 12:31 PM
Thanks Lawrosa, I think it will be easier if I just buy a slip on spout, then the length won't be so crucial. I am kind of surprised that an American Standard shower kit didn't come with a slip on or universal spout. Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-23-15, 12:47 PM
Group Moderator
The nipple has to be custom cut. You start with a too long nipple. Screw it on and measure how much too long it is. That tells you how much to cut off. It then needs to be retreaded. From my experience the Bigbox plumbing employes don't no how to thread a short nipple* so you need to go to a hardware store or plumbing supply.

Just for the record you have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting a stock nipple length to work. I never have. The distance of the faucet body from the wall isn't a set amount and wall thickness varies. Simplest is to use a slip fitting.

*Bigbox usually doesn't have a hand threader and does't know the trick to doing it on a power threader that won't close up enough.