Help identifying/fixing shower handle

Old 08-26-15, 05:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Help identifying/fixing shower handle

Hi all,

Just moved in to our apartment, and the shower handle isn't sitting on the valve right and keeps popping out.

We can't identify what brand it is to even begin to understand how to access or fix this, and the step appears to have been hammered/glued on to the pipe directly so we can't get this off to access the valve in order to re-tighten the set screw onto it for the handle. The spout and the shower head are both Grohe, but when I contacted Grohe they said this is not their handle.

The issue we are running into is that the design of the stem blocks access to the valve; we can't remove the stem to get any access, but even if we did it wouldn't allow us to tighten the handle back onto the valve without going through the stem.

Any ideas? Help greatly appreciated!

Attached Images      
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-15, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 337 Votes on 315 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You said apartment. Is there a maintenance man or company you could check with ?

I used to work as a maintenance man in my grandfathers apartment complex. Same problem.... no brand recognition. I used to buy spares as soon as I found makes and or models. It was never easy.

Old 08-26-15, 07:02 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I like your nick, jumbled amusing. I searched google images but I still can't identify that shower body. If the handle were hammered & glued, the shower body might have to be replaced. If there is a closet behind the shower body, you could open the wall behind it. Otherwise, contact the building super, as PJ recommended. Ask him if the same shower body was used in all the apartments.

Old 08-27-15, 10:42 AM
Thanks Pulpo, PJ for the responses!

Unfortunately, the building maintenance company does not know the details as it isn't in the offering plan, and we bought (so it's not a rental where they are responsible for fixing it and therefore need to know).

There is also unfortunately no closet behind the shower body. It does feel like it may have been replaced with a Grohe knock-off/no name brand at some point though, but I can't confirm whether it's a Grohe valve or not even if we were to try and replace it entirely at this point. Any other thoughts on what we can do to identify it?

Old 08-27-15, 04:39 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you are going to replace the shower body, it doesn't matter what brand it is. If you still want to try to identify it, look for any markings on any of the pieces & post them here.

Old 08-27-15, 07:25 PM
We just want to fix the handle. I think the threads have been too worn down and it doesn't allow us to turn water on/off well. There are ZERO markings for brand on it. The only things on it are a "C" for cold and "H" for hot on the plate that sits on top of the hole.

I have also looked at a neighbor's apartment and they have the same no-brand handle, so unfortunately it was installed with the building and the maintenance company has no information on the details of fixtures installed.

Old 08-27-15, 08:40 PM
Temporarily Suspended
After looking at hundreds of pics, I believe that the handle belongs to mirabelleproducts.com
However, the handle could be beyond repair unless you try something like JB Weld.

Maintenance companies come & go so that's why they may not know. If some renovation were done at an earlier date, a previous company or architect may know, if my guess is wrong.

Old 08-27-15, 09:32 PM
Do you happen to have an idea for which model from Mirabelle? I found one similar but not quite right on their site: Mirabelle MIRED8010CP Edenton Non-Thermostatic Valve Trim Trim Kit - Polished Chrome at MirabelleProducts.com

That one does not have a diverter and clearly has screws which hold the plate on. Ours has no screw holes.

Any further help since you have a hunch would be much appreciated!

Old 08-27-15, 11:39 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I don't have an exact match because companies constantly modify styles & my guess is that yours is about 15 years old. Also, your handle & the handles on their site are unique, in the sense that they have a lip but aren't tapered. Additionally, the plates have the same style H & C lettering. You can send them a pic, to confirm or deny it.

Finally, I just did another image search, this time for Edenton single shower handles & the images that you posted here appeared there. That isn't proof. I just thought that I would mention it.

Old 08-31-15, 11:05 AM
BRAND IDENTIFIED! (Now need to verify that the right cartridge)

So we were able to identify the brand and model of the trim kit! It is the Cascade Tower Tech series 12150R (with diverter), which I was able to find for sale on eBay.

However, the eBay sale does not include the valve, and it does not specify the model of the valve we need to get. Does anyone know how to work backwards from identifying the trim to ensuring we get the right cartridge replacement? I unfortunately cannot call Cascade to ask.

THANKS!

Old 08-31-15, 01:48 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Search the names that you have in google images. The rest of it may appear. Was Mirebelle incorrect?