Toilet replacement fill valve?


Old 08-29-15, 06:54 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: middleboro,ma
Posts: 281
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet replacement fill valve?

Hi I own a late 1990's Eljer 1.6gal 2pc toilet.It has the old style ball and arm type fill valve in it now. I am looking at replacing the working parts in the tank as they are getting older now.
Do you recommend replacing the fill valve with a fluidmaster 400A or the korky "quiet fill"?? or other?? Do you prefer one over the other for reliability?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-15, 06:57 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,986
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't remember if I've used Korky. I usually take whatever is available.
Old 08-29-15, 08:12 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,451
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I haven't used Korky. The Fluidmaster will perform well and always do. It's much better than your current set up.

Be sure to look at instructions. The critical mark on valve must be above the bowl fill tube height. The valve is adjustable in height by pulling the top section up.
Old 08-29-15, 08:50 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 20,759
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
If installing a Fluidmaster fill valve set the valve height before installing it. Put it in the tank and eyeball the height you'll need then slip up the locking ring and set the height. Lately they can be extremely difficult to raise and lower and you can get better leverage if you have it loose and can get a good grip on both ends. Once you've got the height set then go ahead and install it in the tank and use the float adjustment screw for fine tuning.
Old 08-31-15, 07:53 PM
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 10
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just did the same thing. I used the universal fit korky. Works really well and was easy to install.
Old 09-01-15, 04:19 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,808
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
I've been using the float-less kinds for years with no trouble, but I never see them mentioned. What's the take on them from you pro plumbers::

Name:  510FHJWhEgL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  11.3 KB

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title: