Stump the plumber

Old 08-31-15, 07:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stump the plumber

Need some help here. Started having problems with my toilet. It wasn't flushing all the way, so I plunged it and gurgling noises started coming from the bathtub drain. I suspected a clog, so I dumped 5 gallons of very hot water down the toilet-went down no problem. Tub drains normal, sink drains normal, no back up at all. Toilet still won't flush properly and each time I get the gurgling noises.
I read about the vent pipe, so I ran water down the vent and it eventually overflowed and no water came up through the tub, sink or toilet.
I ended up calling a plumber, one of them went on the roof and slid a long skinny pipe down the vent without blockage. He also didn't see anything with a flashlight.
Next day the plumber came back, and saw water seeping from the main sewer pipe when I flushed the toilet. This is where the pipe comes from the house and goes underground. He removed the dirt around it, there's no breaks or holes but water was coming from the connection point. He cut a sizable hole in the cast iron pipe and rodded out the main sewer pipe 25' into the backyard and then back into the house. Tree roots came out and the water ran free. The toilet started flushing normal. Later the same night the gurgling came back and the unsuccessful flushing. Same plumber came back next morning and rodded again. Same thing happened, everything was fine for most of the day, then the gurgling came back and unsuccessful flushing. I checked the syphon jet in the toilet and there appears to be no blockage. I replaced the fill valve in the toilet as well and checked the flap and that seems fine as well.
At this point, the water in the bowl doesn't really go down when flushing, but it doesn't overflow either. I tried plunging again and got bad sewer smell from the bathtub drain and gurgling noises. I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-15, 07:49 PM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
And he never removed the toilet and snaked the drain from there?

Last edited by joecaption; 08-31-15 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 08:00 PM
No, they didn't. I'm sure that's one of the next things to try. They're coming back in a couple days with a camera.

Old 08-31-15, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
. He cut a sizable hole in the cast iron pipe and rodded out the main sewer pipe 25' into the backyard and then back into the house.
Wow and you paid him? You need to find a new plumber...

How did he patch this hole? ( I would take that guy to court ....) Just me though....

You have a main line clog... not a vent issue at all.

You need to snake the line and have a camera inspection done to know whats really going on.....Let us know...

IMO you said roots so you have a break in the line or collapse and belly's.

Fix the damaged areas or replace the line IMO...

Old 08-31-15, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
I read about the vent pipe, so I ran water down the vent and it eventually overflowed and no water came up through the tub, sink or toilet.
That's interesting. If there was a clog in the main line, I would think that, the water you put in the vent should have been coming out into the tub, sinks, etc. The vent line is connected, or is supposed to be, connected to the main stack.

Old 08-31-15, 08:11 PM
Well, cutting the hole was cheaper than replacing the pipe with one that has an outdoor trap. He repaired the hole with this large thick rubber band that was secured with metal straps.
Does a main line clog cause the drain noises too? I thought that was just from the vent?

Old 08-31-15, 08:14 PM
Lawrosa what is a 'belly'?

Old 08-31-15, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I think Mike meant this:

Name:  blog-img-3.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  24.7 KB
Source: Pronto Plumbing

Old 09-01-15, 03:13 AM
I am going through this same problem. I think once they get a video of the pipe, you will see Lawrosa and Ray are probably correct. At some point there is severe blockage and probably complete breakage and the pipe is going uphill instead of dropping.

Old 09-01-15, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Does a main line clog cause the drain noises too? I thought that was just from the vent?
Yes because the main line fills up and blocks the vent/vents. So when the main drains slow from the clog the line burps its self.. Glug, glug,glug.

Youll here it from whatever area the line is trying to vent from. Sink, tub ? You may even see the toilet siphon itself...

Old 09-01-15, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator
additionally if you camera and get the roots good , and the pipe looks not too bad, treat with root X once a year..

Sewer root problems? Call your plumber and ask for RootX

Old 09-01-15, 07:43 AM
Thanks everyone for your insight 😊 I've gone ahead and cut down the tree and am going to kill the stump just as a preventative measure for the future. Funny, the toilet was flushing fine last night and this morning with no gurgling, but it didn't last.
If there is a belly like the picture of the broken pipe under the tree, would there be noticeable water or squishy ground in that area? It's dry as a bone.

Old 09-01-15, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator
If there is a belly like the picture of the broken pipe under the tree, would there be noticeable water or squishy ground in that area? It's dry as a bone.
No you will not show water in most cases..

Even though you cut the tree, roots will still grow most times.

Get a camera inspection then you will know what your dealing with...

Old 09-01-15, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I know tree roots can keep growing after you cut the tree down, but it's a step in the right direction. The tree was only 7 years old and still managable to cut down. If I waited any longer it'd be harder for me to handle. Plus if there really is a broken pipe underneath it, I'd have to get rid of it anyway.

Old 09-03-15, 12:17 PM
So... The verdict was a bad/old toilet. I'm having a real hard time believing this. All the crazy noises, the sewer smell when plunged?
The guy who came out today turned all the faucets on full blast and dumped gallons of water in the toilet. When it went down fine, that was his diagnosis. Replace the toilet.
Does this sound right?

Old 09-03-15, 12:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Does that sound right.... no.

Did you have the camera inspection done ?

Old 09-06-15, 02:12 PM
No, he said he didn't need to do the camera inspection since what he did indicated there were no clogs. They're refunding my money for rodding the sewer and hoping the new toilet will do the trick.

Old 09-06-15, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
He cut a sizable hole in the cast iron pipe and rodded out the main sewer pipe 25' into the backyard and then back into the house. Tree roots came out and the water ran free. The toilet started flushing normal. Later the same night the gurgling came back and the unsuccessful flushing. Same plumber came back next morning and rodded again. Same thing happened, everything was fine for most of the day, then the gurgling came back and unsuccessful flushing.

he said he didn't need to do the camera inspection since what he did indicated there were no clogs. They're refunding my money for rodding the sewer and hoping the new toilet will do the trick.
LOLOL.. I bet they sold you the toilet too!!!!!

ROOTS!!!!!! ROOTS!!!!

You have roots in your pipe....
They guy cut a hole in your cast iron pipe...
Refunded money??? WOW

Find a new plumber. You need a camera inspection. Do you think the roots will not just grow back?

Rodded the sewer? You mean he did not use a power snake and a cutting bit to cut all the roots? Then treat with root X if after the video inspection shows pipe may still be intact?

Sorry but as a professional for 30 years this is not how you diagnose your problem.

Im pretty sure you will continue to have issues now or in the near future...

Old 09-06-15, 04:24 PM
Be careful Sandy.
I consider myself pretty good at most plumbing. I had my main waste line snaked (with cutter), it worked fine for about a week.
Same problem came up and I found complete breakage of main line plus heaving, section of pipe was replaced up to city drop.

That's bad enough. To repair further, I will have to go into street at a cost of about $25K.

My advice (as others say) Get the camera in there and see what's really going on, and get a competent person behind the camera.

Old 09-07-15, 11:33 AM
He did use a power rodder and a cutter. I'm in the process of finding another plumber. And no, the previous plumber did not try to sell me the new toilet LOL. I'm aware that the roots will grow again, so I did use the root kill, chopped down the tree and put stump killer in it.
What remains is a 20+ year old toilet that doesn't want to flush, although my tub drains fine, kitchen sink is fine, washing machine is draining fine. Now the bathroom sink is slow to drain. Oh and the gurgling in the bathtub is gone.