Installing Kenmore Elite dishwasher

Old 09-10-15, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installing Kenmore Elite dishwasher

So we are replacing our seven year old LG Dishwasher as it's been having some
issues with basic cleaning for a while now.

Removal was fairly straight forward (besides me requiring to get stitches after disconnecting the drain hose from the LG).

Installation is a lot more confusing as it seems like the previous setup was unusual.

Here's the directions

So here is the drain connection coming from the Dishwasher

Here's the drain tube that came with the dishwasher

Here's the connection from the previous drain tube to the garbage disposal

So do I connect the female part of the Kenmore drain hose to the Dishwasher? If so, it looks like I would need a part to connect the other end to the garbage disposal hose, right?

Thanks for the help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-15, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Votes on 18 Posts
welcome to the forums...

You need to disconnect the hose from the disposal..

I believe its the 5/8" connection. If so you cut the 1" part off..

But dont cut till sure. If its smaller on the disposal end we will need to make an adapter..

Old 09-10-15, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 379 Votes on 356 Posts
It looks like maybe the hose from the old dishwasher wasn't long enough so they added that 5/8" rubber hose. Make sure the drain line from the new dishwasher will reach before cutting/removing the 5/8" line.

Name:  GXrq7sQ.jpg
Views: 1637
Size:  16.3 KB

You should also make sure the drain line is fastened up high under the countertop before connecting to the disposer.

Name:  DDW.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  15.7 KB

Old 09-10-15, 07:07 PM
So do I connect the female part of the Kenmore drain hose to the Dishwasher?
No. The drain hose that was shipped inside dishwasher is assembled like this:

Barbed end goes into the short rubber drain end located under dishwasher. (lay dishwasher on it's back to connect drain and supply lines). The clamp location on short rubber end under DW is clearly marked, and you need to remove clamp as you have it now to insert barbed end. Move clamp to ribbed section of drain, insert barbed end, and then replace clamp.

You now have a drain line about 4 - 5 feet long or more. The sink side (drain end) can be trimmed to 7/8" (disposer inlet) or 5/8" (air gap). These are Inside diameters and the drain end is marked for cutting.

If the drain doesn't reach the disposal, don't cut drain end. Post back for how to extend line.

Old 09-10-15, 08:41 PM
First off, thanks to everyone for all the replies as they really did help.

Anyway, I removed the old drain hoses (completely disgusting as the hoses still had the drain water with the food residue in them). Also it looks like the the large connector fits perfectly on the disposal without any further adjustments.

Here are pics of the new hose in position to approximate hooking it up to the DW.

Also, this was just sitting in underneath the sink, not attached to anything.

I am assuming this is the Air gap, so does this need to be hooked up or could I get away with just using a wire to elevate the drain hose? The thing is if I elevate it, I don't think the hose will be long enough.

Old 09-11-15, 08:28 PM
So I could have sworn I had posted a response last night but for whatever reason it still hasn't shown up.

First off thanks for all the responses as this is my first foray into anything plumbing related. Anyway, I removed all the old drain hose from the disposal (which was incredibly disgusting since the hose was not elevated at all and had decomposing food in it). Good news is that 1" connector is a perfect fit on the disposal. Bad news is that if I have to elevate the new hose at all, I don't know if it will be long enough. Any ideas about what I need to make an extension?

Here are some pics

Also I found this Air Gap sitting underneath the sink and was wondering if I needed to install it

Once again thanks for the help!

Old 09-12-15, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
If you cant make a loop like this then you may get water back into the DW when you use the sink...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56017[/ATTACH]

You dont need the air gap... Disgard

Most new DW have the loop on the side of the DW thats built in, so a loop is not needed under the sink. Do you have this?

If not you need a DW hose extension so you can make the loop...

Attached Images  
Old 09-12-15, 06:31 PM
I'm not sure what's going on here. Is your dishwasher installed directly to the right of sink base cabinet or is it around a corner or a few cabinets down?

I'm asking because the standard drain hose is plenty long enough if unit is next to sink.

If you need to extend line:

- Don't cut drain end
- Purchase a 7/8" barbed connector, brass or nylon and 2 hose clamps
- Purchase standard 7/8" ID hose to extend drain between barb and disposer inlet.

The 7/8" ID hose will not be as easy to attach to disposer inlet as the drain end, but it is the correct size. Wet the inside of hose and force the hose onto the inlet fully.

Old 09-13-15, 12:32 AM
Yeah the dishwasher has a loop on the side, so it looks like we are good to go on the length of the drain hose. I will check in tomorrow and let you know how the final installation process went.

Anyway, one more question for you guys.

What is the purpose of the brass connection to the Hot Water line as seen in the picture below?

Old 09-13-15, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
That brass part is a water hammer arrestor... Pretty hacked set up if you ask me. It should be piped more permanently if you truly have water hammer.. That type needs to stay vertical...

Old 09-13-15, 09:13 AM
Yeah I thought it looked very thrown together. Should I just remove it?

Old 09-13-15, 09:29 AM
Yeah, just remove it. The angle stop valve has a 3/8" outlet, which is what you need.

Never seen an arrestor on a dishwasher supply line.

Old 09-13-15, 08:35 PM
So I am a little frustrated with Kenmore/Sears right now. So the installation directions say to install the strain relief in the electrical box in order to be up to code.

Two problems with this:

1) The strain relief doesn't come with dishwasher
2) As seen in the picture below, the strain relief is a non-standard being a 7/8 inch part part and doesn't appear to be available anywhere local.

My initial thought is just to finish the installation tonight, order the part and install the strain relief later in the week. Overall I am frustrated that I wasn't told when I bought the DW that I needed this part in order for the dishwasher to be installed correctly.

Old 09-13-15, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator
strain relief is a standard electrical part that can be found anywhere...

Halex 3/8 in. Non-Metallic (NM) Twin-Screw Cable Clamp Connectors (5-Pack)-20511 - The Home Depot

Old 09-16-15, 08:11 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that the dishwasher is now installed and working perfectly. Thank you all for the help as there is no way I could have done this right with all your input.

Now onto the leaky garbage disposal!

Old 09-16-15, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator
Now onto the leaky garbage disposal!
Good job on the DW... IMO of 30 years plumbing is a GD is more trouble then good. I would remove it. I remove them all the time...

I dont believe in taxing the sewer system with food..

Start a compost heap or throw out scraps with the trash...

Old 09-16-15, 08:35 PM
Leaks are unacceptable no matter how small. The leak can cause major damage that is not covered by insurance.

I would suggest posting another picture of the leak area.

Old 09-16-15, 08:47 PM
It's directly underneath the GD and I didn't feel moisture coming from anywhere else so I assumed it was coming from that. Also I could feel water on the bottom of the GD. Good thing is that it comes with a Lifetime in home service Warranty, so I am calling them up tomorrow. Also the leak isn't very large so we just have a small plastic container underneath it for now.

@lawrosa We generally don't use it for large scale food scraps as we compost everything we can.