Danco Perfect Seal Instead of Wax Ring for Toilet

Old 09-19-15, 11:37 AM
Danco Perfect Seal Instead of Wax Ring for Toilet

I am just wondering if anyone has used one of these ring seals for the toilet to flange seal. I have a cottage that I installed a toilet with a traditional wax ring about 5 years ago. I noticed that it was leaking, only when flushed, this weekend (may have leaked from the start, don't know.)

I know wax rings have quite a bit of positive history but I am wondering that perhaps mine breached because I let the cottage freeze in the wintertime (after blowing out pipes and putting plumbers antifreeze in the toilet bowl, tank and all drains). It might also have happened due to my hacker level of experience with installing toilets.

Anyway, I would appreciate anyone's comments that has used one of these Danco Perfect Seal systems for the flange to toilet seal.

Danco | Perfect Seal | Home Depot Canada

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-15, 12:58 PM
Upvotes Received: 40
Never used the Danco brand but other brands have a positive history. The big advantage is the ability to reposition and reuse the ring. But you really need to figure out why it leaked. If the pipes and toilet was filled with anti freeze I doubt freezing caused the problem. I suspect it may be your original install. You need to check the levelness of the flange and the height of the flange in relation to the floor. Ideally you want it level with floor surface or slightly above. Also is the floor good and solid and is the toilet anchored well to the flange?

Old 09-19-15, 01:31 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Another thread on the same subject.... http://www.doityourself.com/forum/to...-opinions.html

Old 09-23-15, 02:12 PM
Ok. So the job is done and the verdict is in. Danco Perfect Seal is complete junk. Thankfully I bought a wax ring just in case it didn't work.

I had very high hopes for it. I watched their video's and read their reviews. They obviously pay those Chinese companies to write favorable reviews all over the internet, so as to drown out the bad ones. It worked on me.

They say that this seal can accommodate any flanges that are above, level or below the floor line. I can't say if it works for the others but the top of my flange is about 3/8 inch above my floor. The flange itself sits a little below the floor but the width of the flange itself puts the top of it a little above my floor. So now when I use this perfect seal (without the extension) the toilet just rocks on the seal. No matter how hard I push and drop the toilet, I could not get it to sit flush on the floor with that seal in place. So they only work for flanges that are level or below the floor, in my opinion (if they work at all since I wonder what pushes out the wax on flanges that sit below the floor). In my case the bottom of my toilet exit (3.25 inches of outside diameter) would hit the plastic material of this seal (2.5 inches in diameter) and stop. The plastic dropped down a little into my flange but not enough to accommodate my toilet exit and allow the toilet to come down to the floor to sit properly. No matter how hard I pushed, sat or dropped the toilet, it would not push that plastic material down further to allow a proper installation.

So I am back to wax with the plastic funnel on the bottom. So far it is working fine. Let's hope it stays that way. Just thought I would give the final result for anyone interested.

Old 09-23-15, 06:55 PM
Upvotes Received: 40
Thanks for the feed back. I'm a bit surprised but hey that's how we learn.

Old 09-23-15, 09:11 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Ditto on the feedback. It's important we know the problems and downfalls with a product as that affects our recommendations.

Old 09-24-15, 06:37 AM
I think it might work OK for any flange top that is level with the floor or less then 1/8" up or down from the floor. Any higher and you end up with my problem, which as I reread the negative reviews on the home depot site, was repeated every time someone had the flange on top of the floor. Mine was a little lower then that but still too high. If the flange was considerably lower then the floor and the extension was used, I doubt the toilets horn would push down on any of the wax inside this device and therefore, I doubt much of a seal would be accomplished. On this situation I am only guessing, but I doubt it would work.

Old 12-02-16, 10:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
Thanks OptsyEagle, that's a good review and very good to know to stay away from them. I'm sure there are some installations that they would be ideal with, but a wax ring is a pretty well tried and trusted solution.