Standing water on shower tile

Old 09-19-15, 09:13 PM
Standing water on shower tile

(Not 100% sure this is the right board since it's more of a tiling issue than a plumbing issue. If there's a better place - I can move the post.)

We bought a renovated house in August - from what we understand the people who flipped it did a lot of work themselves. We've seen evidence of that in little things here and there...we noticed that after we shower, the floor of the stall isn't totally level and water will pool in the back corner. I'm assuming this will cause problems over time - what kind of problems? what's the least expensive way to fix it? Obviously we'd like to avoid re-tiling the whole shower.

My husband's thought was to build a tile bench/seat along the back wall of the shower, not sure if that's more expensive or more work than just re-tiling though. Although a place to shave my legs is appealing.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1373
Size:  44.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-15, 04:54 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it was an inexperienced tiler then there is probably not a pre-slope under the pan liner to assist with the drainage of the water. Over time, you will have issues with the standing water. Some investigative work could provide piece of mind or prepare you for the inevitable redo.

Is there any access behind the service wall? Is there access from below? Remove the trim around the shower handle and look at the composition of the wall behind the tile. Provide pictures if possible. In the mean time, make sure that the following areas are completely caulked and not simply grouted: Floor to wall transition, wall to wall corner, and corners around he curb. Also, let the shower dry out and apply a sealer to slow some of the water absorption although most likely won't do much for standing water.

Installing a bench will not correct any issues.