Kitchen Faucet - hg p-ix 9538/ibo kiwa - low hot water flow

Old 09-20-15, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Faucet - hg p-ix 9538/ibo kiwa - low hot water flow

My kitchen faucet suddenly has very little flow on hot; it seems to be reasonably normal on cold. All the other faucets in the house seem to have normal hot water, so I guess it must be the faucet. It is 10 years old. While the previous house owner left manuals on everything he missed this one.
I don't find much on the internet, but it seems to be a discontinued model by Hansgrohe.

1) What might the problem be?
2) I am guessing it needs a new cartridge. How would I get one; seems to be pretty obscure. I have replaced a few Moen shower cartridges; is this going to be as easy? (well, two were easy, the third was crudded in)
3) Is the manual available on line?
4) Am I likely to be better off trying to fix it, or getting a replacement?

Oh, I replaced the water heater 3 weeks ago. Could there be any connection? (something getting into the hot water line and clogging the faucet? I don't know; just grasping at straws)

Thanks much

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-15, 08:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
I don't know much about HG faucets but I did locate a company contact for you. As we don't post business phones numbers in the threads I'll send it to you in a PM.

Possibly someone else will have another idea.... they can post that here.

Old 09-21-15, 04:49 AM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
PJ and Toller, Hansgrohe is a high end unit and the company will or should make good on warranty. I believe they operate mainly in the North East.

Old 09-21-15, 04:56 AM
Received 25 Votes on 21 Posts
Remove the aerator on the faucet and replace or just clean the screen out.
They should have been removed and lines flushed any time major plumbing work is done.

Old 09-21-15, 06:59 AM
The water heater could have something to do with this.
Here's a few tests:

- Remove aerator and flush as Joe said
- Remove hot water supply line and inspect the line. It might have a flow restrictor that is clogged or other obvious blockage. The restrictor will be just inside the nut
- While faucet supply line is detached, connect a separate supply line to valve and run water into a bucket, see if you're getting good flow.

Old 09-21-15, 08:11 AM
The aerator was clean.
There is a filter above the aerator that had some stuff on it, but there was little hot water with the filter removed.

I switch the hot and cold connections. Plenty of cold water came out when the faucet was turned to hot, but very little when the faucet was turned to cold.

I guess that means it is not the faucet?

Unfortunately I have nothing that fits the hot water feed valve (the fitting from the faucet is something I have never seen before), but there is a branch just below the valve that goes to the dishwasher. Last night the dishes washed normally. That means either the dishwasher was getting lots of water and the problem was in the hot water feed valve to the faucet, or the dishwasher is okay on very little water.

What is next to try? I am guessing I should remove the hot feed valve and clean it. A photo is attached. How do I remove it. (shutting off the valve to the water heater is adequate?)

I have emailed the manufacturer, but at this point it looks like the faucet is okay; right?

Thanks much.

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-15, 10:13 AM
It sounds like the hot angle stop has blockage internally. You have plenty of pipe there to replace the valve easily.

Cut off pipe below the valve using a tubing cutter or mini tube cutter. Purchase a new compression straight stop, something like this:

BrassCraft 1/2 in. Nominal Compression Inlet x 3/8 in. O.D. Compression Outlet 1/4-Turn Straight Valve-G2CR14X C1 - The Home Depot

These compression stops are easy to install but be careful to not over tighten.

- While holding valve with a separate wrench, tighten lower compression nut until ferrule grabs copper pipe.
- Once ferrule grabs pipe, tighten an additional 1/2 to 3/4 turn. If you are in doubt, start with 1/2 turn and check for leaks. Over tightening will cause leaks.

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-15, 11:47 AM
I sorta fixed it...

I turned the hot water off, and tried to clean the valve with a pipe cleaner. That got nowhere.

I then dug through several bins and found a 3/8" to hose adapter. Put that on and it ran strong. Reconnected the faucet and it is fine.

So... I either...
1) blew it out with the hose
2) let it fall back into the hot water system so it could come up somewhere else.

Which do you think? Should I expect more problems later?

I didn't want to replace the valve. The picture was of the cold water valve. The hot water was right above a T going to the dishwasher and there wasn't much pipe to work with.

I appreciate everyones help. Got it solved, right?!

Old 09-21-15, 02:49 PM
Yes, I would say you fixed it. The blockage was probably flushed out, not returned back into the pipe.
Good job.

Old 09-24-15, 03:40 PM
Guess again about Hansgrohe being a high end unit.
I sent them an email comparable to my first post, and they told me I had to replace the faucet; just replacing the cartridge wouldn't do it.

Fortunately by the time I got their reply I had already unclogged the feed line.

Old 09-24-15, 05:11 PM
Received 61 Votes on 57 Posts
WOW! That surprises me. I have one of their shower units and they replaced parts and unit on several occasions over the past 25 years.

Old 09-24-15, 05:45 PM
When I wrote them, I mistakenly assumed they would send me a new cartridge; as Moen always has. Nope. Glad you had better luck.