Installing toilet flange and wax ring

Old 09-23-15, 04:21 PM
Installing toilet flange and wax ring

Hello,
I will be putting down a sheet vinyl floor in my bathroom causing me to have to pull up my toilet. I am curious when installing the new wax ring should I stick it to the bottom or toilet or should I set id down on the flange and then press the toilet down into it first? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-15, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator
I always set the wax ring on the flange.. Never did I put one on the bottom of the toilet before setting it...

Old 09-23-15, 05:32 PM
Makes no since to try and stick it to the toilet.

Old 09-23-15, 06:51 PM
+1 on setting the ring on the flange!

Old 09-24-15, 06:43 AM
The directions on the wax ring that I just used yesterday actually said to stick it to the toilet. They were specific. Turn the toilet bowl upside down, stick the wax ring on the exit hole and then carefully place the toilet on the flange bolts and then press down evenly until the toilet sits solidly on the floor.

I always had done it the other way but tried it this way, since it seem to me that it would protect the wax ring a little better as I was moving the toilet around looking for the flange bolts to drop the toilet over.

I was concerned that the wax ring might drop down as I was doing this but it stuck to the toilet fine. I used one of the wax rings with the plastic funnel piece on the bottom.

Old 09-24-15, 10:59 AM
You press it onto the toilet. Makes no sense to stick it on the floor!

Old 09-24-15, 08:00 PM
Ah man... conflicting advice. I guess I'll see if there's any instructions. Thanks for the replies

Old 09-24-15, 10:34 PM
All the instructions that come with wax rings that I have read say to stick the ring to the toilet horn first. I have found it is much easier to stick the wax to the flange first.

Old 09-25-15, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator
you put the rimg on the flange because it also holds the johnny bolts upwards. This allows you to place the toilet easier..

all plumbers I have ever knowb do it that way.. Ive been doing it that way for 30 years

Old 09-25-15, 06:55 AM
And all instructions say to stick it on the horn and use the plastic grabby washers to hold the bolts upright. LOL--I don't think it matters.

Old 10-05-15, 04:12 AM
I have the new vinyl floor laid. the vinyl may sit 1/16th of an inch higher on the floor than previous vinyl. The toilet flange is thick cast iron and sits slightly higher than the vinyl. Is there a way to tell if you need an extra thick wax ring? Could I hurt anything using an extra thick one, such as blocking the drain? I bought both because they weren't too spendy. Also, how tight is it recommended to tighten the toilet to the floor? I did one toilet already with regular wax ring with plastic reinforcement. I tightened it hand tight and then about 3 turns.

Old 10-05-15, 05:52 AM
Normally the bottom of the flange sits on top of the finished floor and then a regular wax ring is used with no problem. As long as the top of the flange is above the finished floor there should be no reason to use an extra thick wax ring. Under worst case scenario the excess wax of an extra thick ring would prevent the proper seating of the toilet.

Set the toilet in place and then sit on the toilet to force it to the floor. Snug the nuts on the bolts slightly more than hand tight. If you are able to take three turns then it probably means the flange is not secure to the floor and you may be moving the piping.