Do I need a wax ring?

Old 09-23-15, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I need a wax ring?

Replacing a whole toilet, I pulled the old one off and there was no wax ring. I have two others in my house, both have a wax ring, but the pipe/flange do not look the same as this one.

This one has that red rubber gasket around it. The pipe itself is just slightly larger than the outlet of the toilet. I feel like even if I did put a wax ring on it, the thing wouldn't set right.

Anyone seen this before? Do I need a ring?

Name:  IMG_20150923_203033.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  26.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-15, 11:02 PM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
I suspect that if you pull upwards on the white plastic tabs outside of the red rubber gasket that whole assembly will come up and out of the pipe. You MIGHT be able to pull it up almost out of the pipe and reuse it but you will have only one chance to get it right.

More likely as not the red rubber gasket originally had some kind of adhesive on each side and it was supposed to adhere the white plastic assembly to the toilet "horn" before dropping into the tank. If the toilet has EVER had a wax ring then the adhesive simply cannot make a secure connection to the toilet.

I just went out in the garage and looked at the Fluidmaster waxless adapter I bought many, many years ago (and never used) and your device looks exactly like the Fluidmaster.

Fluidmaster Wax-Free Toilet Bowl Gasket-7500P5 - The Home Depot

Old 09-23-15, 11:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The toilet I have is brand new, never been seated before.

Do I need a new one of these gaskets to get the adhesive properties? Can I just set the new toilet directly on it until it feels seated? Or do I need to attach the gasket to the toilet outlet first, and then set the whole toilet down onto the pipe?

Old 09-24-15, 12:10 AM
Received 25 Votes on 19 Posts
Honestly, I would pull off the existing device and see about installing a traditional flange assembly and then using either a wax ring or a Sani Seal doughnut.

Sani Seal Waxless Toilet Gasket

The Sani Seal IS expensive, about 12 bucks, but it is the easiest thing in the world to use. With the Fluidmaster unit you have the part with the red gasket MUST be secure to the toilet and you will likely need a helper lying on the floor to make sure you don't dislodge it when attempting to lower it onto the bolts. Also, the Sani Seal is VERY forgiving, allowing you to miss the center when setting the toilet and simply lifting and resetting, something that you cannot do with a wax seal.

Upon further reading it appears that the Fluidmaster device is not "glued" to the toilet but the gasket provides a friction fit on the toilet horn. You still need to lower the toilet with the fitting straight down into the pipe without knocking the device off of the horn.