1/2" to 3/8" compression adapter with nylon washer for dishwasher: how tight?

Old 09-24-15, 11:08 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1/2" to 3/8" compression adapter with nylon washer for dishwasher: how tight?

I am installing a Bosch dishwasher that came with a pre-installed flex supply line with a 3/8" compression fitting, the usual kind with a rubber gasket that takes the place of the compression ring/ferrule and fits down into the fitting on the stop valve. I know what to do with this: hand tight + 1/4 turn or so.

The stop valve in my kitchen has a 1/2" compression fitting so I got an adapter (Watts LFA-230) which is similar to the adapters that come in those universal dishwasher installation kits (which include a hose and other things I don't need). The adapters in the kits I've seen have rubber washers, but the one I have has a translucent white plastic washer, looks like nylon, which is a lot thinner and harder than a rubber washer. It's a flat washer that just seals around the thin edge on the end of the fitting on the stop valve, it doesn't go down inside the fitting at all. Can anyone tell me how far past hand tight this thing will want to be? I'm guessing not far since it's relatively thin and hard, but I don't know.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-15, 11:38 AM
Not much tightening. Hand tight and maybe 1/8 turn. Just snug it up and check for leaks.

Personally I don't use these adapters, but if it's not leaking you will be OK. I change out the stop.

Old 09-24-15, 11:50 AM
Thank you!

I change out the stop.
That sounds like a good idea, but I'm dealing with a compression valve installed on a CPVC pipe, and not enough extra pipe to cut it off and have much left to work with. Compression on CPVC kind of scares me and I'd rather not mess with it.