Garbage disposal connection and loose pipe

Old 09-28-15, 12:38 PM
Garbage disposal connection and loose pipe

As mentioned in a previous post, I am having couple of problems with the plumbing underneath our sink and was going to give it a shot myself before calling a plumber.

Leaky Garbage Disposal Connection
As seen in the video below, it appears I am getting a fairly decent leak from where the garbage disposal screws into the sink. I apologize for the unstable screen in advance:

https://youtu.be/Dowa_4cWv0M

Do I need to disconnect the disposal and then reconnect it to ensure there is a good connection?

Loose Pipe
As seen below the pipe doesn't actually appear to be attached which is resulting in some minor leaking
https://youtu.be/ZofzzvtD7Kw Any ideas on what I need to do to fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-15, 03:49 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I would try to tighten the threaded piece, on the garbage disposal first. Then I would pour some locktite sealer at the bottom of the tail pipe.

Old 09-28-15, 04:00 PM
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

See above link for how to insert pictures. This looks like quite a mess. Try to post a picture of the entire under sink plumbing layout.

The tailpiece should be replaced with a new one. You will need a longer tailpiece and new tailpiece washer. Measure carefully and cut new tailpiece to correct length.

The disposer needs to be completely removed and disposer mount needs reinstalled properly.

The picture is important though, because it looks like disposer and all under sink pipes should be replaced. This would be your best bet if budget allows and we can guide you.

Old 09-28-15, 04:07 PM
Group Moderator
In the top picture.... the red arrow is pointing to a nut you can try tightening clockwise. If that doesn't help you will need to turn the locknut counterclockwise and check and see if the tailpiece (blue arrow) is too short or if the nylon gasket (yellow arrow) is missing or damaged.

Name:  tail.JPG
Views: 888
Size:  26.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2545.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  27.4 KB

Old 09-28-15, 05:41 PM
Ok you are kind of scaring me now!

Here's a pic of the current setup

Old 09-28-15, 05:51 PM
Yeah I think the gasket I bad because I can't seat the tail piece when I tighten up the locknut as It keeps popping out and I am guessing it should be too hard to do. Is this something I can buy from the Home Depot?

Old 09-28-15, 06:02 PM
Not scary, you just want to be careful with leaks.
I see a drip pan under trap. If trap is not leaking, try pushing trap up and tightening tailpiece into baffle tee as Pete said. The tailpiece should seat fully into tee, about 1/2". The key to getting slip tubes to not leak is to have them cut square and fully seated. You can try to tighten disposer mount also. Your type has a rubber gasket instead of putty on the top underside of mount and they rarely leak.

Your plumbing doesn't look half bad, maybe just came loose after years.

Old 09-28-15, 07:15 PM
So i think the leak above the disposal was due to the gasket that keeps the seal against the sink being completely shot.

New problem while I was trying remove the disposal to remove said gasket:

As you can see this uses the waste king EZ Mount system, so I need to move the disposal counter clockwise and the silver bracket clockwise. The problem is that due to the leaking I can't seem to get the disposal to budge. As you can see from the picture, I am trying to get leverage without breaking the machine but it's still not cutting it.

Any ideas?

Old 09-28-15, 10:27 PM
Update: After spraying on a bit of WD-40 and tapping around the metal collar with a rubber mallet, I was able to remove the disposal. As you can see the gasket sealing the assembly to the bottom of the sink is completely toast. Is this a proprietary part or should I be able to pick this up from Home Depot or the local plumbing store?

Also I figured out the the situation with the other pipe...the gasket had just come off and I had to re attach it to the tail pipe.

Old 09-28-15, 11:10 PM
Group Moderator
Sometimes it takes a little tap with a long screwdriver and a hammer on the locking ring to break it free.

Some points.....

If you look at the drain pipe (A).... you'll notice the pipe coming out of the bottom of the sink is not plumb. It looks like the disposer had spun previously. You'll need to turn it back slightly to push the tail pipe and trap plumb.

My guess is the tailpiece (A) was cut a little too short on installation. When you go to reconnect it..... you can try pushing up on the trap and the whole drain will come up. You need to maintain slight downward pitch to the left of the B drain pipe.

Name:  g7ve2I4m.jpg
Views: 2202
Size:  29.4 KB

ON EDIT: I see you got the disposer out. A plumbing supply should have that gasket.

Old 09-29-15, 03:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unrelated side point. The waste line from your dishwasher is laying on the ground. You need to raise it up so that it is higher than the entry point into the disposer. This high loop will prevent backups from a plugged disposer or drain from siphoning back into the dishwasher.

Old 09-29-15, 05:22 AM
Here is the order of assembly for the EZ Mount. The thin rubber gasket goes under the flange on topside of sink. All other parts are assembled below sink.

Also notice the cushion mount has a small lip which must face down, the part is marked with correct orientation.

Name:  ezmountflange.JPG
Views: 2018
Size:  34.9 KB

Old 09-29-15, 08:35 AM
In a previous thread, somebody mentioned that I didn't need to do that because the the drain hose has a high loop on the side of the dishwasher. Is that not the case?

Old 09-29-15, 08:45 AM
So i spoke to a guy at a local plumbing store this morning and he brought up a point that I've been wondering about (and probably obvious to people on here) .

So that fiber gasket being messed up means a leak was coming from somewhere else cause it doesn't actually provide a seal. From Just looking at the assembly, it would seem that the leak would be coming from the sink flange gasket or cushion mount, correct?

Old 09-29-15, 09:10 AM
Yes, the fiber gasket is not a seal, it's a friction ring that allows you to tighten the support ring easier. My best guess is that your were missing the thin rubber gasket under the sink flange.

Most disposer mounts and basket strainers do not have a gasket, so it would have been easy for the installer to overlook it. The EZ Mount is the only disposer I've seen that uses a gasket under flange.

This is because the mount body is plastic, which is incompatible with plumbers putty.

Old 09-29-15, 09:49 PM
So I talked to AMC and they are shipping the replacement parts free of charge in a week or so. In the mean time I decided to put everything back together and and just deal with the small leak for now. The good news is that after putting everything together, there doesn't appear to be any leakage for now.

Anyway, as always, thanks to everyone who offered advice! I couldn't have figured all this out without you!