Replacing old American Standard shower handle

Old 10-08-15, 07:41 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing old American Standard shower handle

I have an old shower and need to replace the handles. I removed the screw and the acrylic handle. There is a metal insert that fits inside the handle that turns the stem. How do I remove this? I am not sure how it is connected to the stem. Do I just pull it off with a handle puller tool or is it somehow screwed on? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1120
Size:  29.1 KB

Old 10-09-15, 04:52 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
The metal piece should be threaded. Try to unscrew it. If not, you may need:

HDX Shower Valve Wrench Set-UWP0001J - The Home Depot

Old 10-09-15, 08:11 AM
C
The metal piece covers up the valve stem so I wouldn't even be able to get to it using the valve wrenches.

Old 10-09-15, 09:47 AM
P
Received 19 Upvotes on 18 Posts
If the screw that held the acrylic handle on was also holding the metal portion to the valve stem, then you may need to prepare for a small war with the metal portion of the handle. Alternately, is there a separate screw inside the end of handle that might unscrew? The picture does not show that angle.
If no other screws are visible, then assume that the handle is stuck on by corrosion. Try using PB Blaster or similar penetrating oil spray to get inside or under the handle to break the corrosion holding the handle to the stem. I ended up destroying the handle and simply bought a replacement set. Be careful pulling on it or prying it away from the wall as you can damage the wall or weaken some tiles. A puller that pushes against the valve stem is best.

When reassembling or replacing the handle, consider a little plumbing grease on the end of the valve stem splines so it won't get stuck to the handle again.

- Peter

Old 10-10-15, 08:48 AM
C
Thanks for the tips. I got it off this morning using a pry bar and a piece of wood. Went out and bought some plumbers grease and am good to go.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: