Kitchen Sink Question


Old 10-09-15, 11:03 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 6
Kitchen Sink Question

I'm looking to install water filter under my sink. My question is, what is the function of this knob next to the faucet? (see photo)

I noticed that there's a hose that connects from the wall to the knob and down to the food grinder.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-15, 11:12 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,407
Likes Received: 2
That is a vacuum breaker device. It is to keep the drain water from draining back into the dishwasher and possibly contaminating it. It is required by health and safety codes as well as plumbing codes in most areas.
Old 10-10-15, 04:58 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,451
You can drill another hole using a UniBit, or what's called a step drill bit.
They are around $40 to $60
Old 10-10-15, 04:58 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 17,722
Likes Received: 2
Yes I believe Cal is a state that still requires them per code AFAIK.. Why? I have no idea..

Could you remove it without any issues? Yes IMO.

The only other way to add a filter and keep that is to change the faucet and utilize the other holes in the sink..

You have three holes under that faucet plate.. That faucet could be mounted in a single hole, but there is a ring/base that would have came with the faucet.. Maybe long gone now? Or possibly its still there.. Dont know.

It may just utilize a rubber washer... And there are so many types of things you can utilize. Sprays, soap dispensers, filters...ect..


Attached Images  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes