Toilet Bowl Water Level Sinking

Old 10-16-15, 05:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Toilet Bowl Water Level Sinking

I live in the top floor of a 3-story condo building. I just replaced my two toilets with two brand new Toto toilets. They work much better. The old toilet for the master bath had a hard trouble flushing and would take 3 flushes and a plunger to get even the most average job done.

The problem I'm having with these new Toto toilets is that the water level is sinking in the bowl. I've noticed it in both toilets, the master bath toilet and the hallway bath toilet.

After flushing the master bath toilet a few times, I checked the hallway bath toilet and the water level in the bowl was lower than normal.

As a test, I flushed the hallway bath toilet a few times, and went and checked the master bath toilet and sure enough, the water level in the bowl was lower after flushing the hallway bath toilet. I think there's a correlation between flushing a toilet and the sinking water level of the other toilet.

Update: I've let both toilets sit without flushing them for the last 10 minutes and the water level in both bowls have stayed normal.

Is this a vent issue? Is a clogged vent the primary reason why my old master bath toilet was having a hard time flushing and would take 3-4 flushes? If it is a clogged vent, would it be the vent for the master bath or the hallway bath (or are they usually the same vent)?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-16-15, 05:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 175 Posts
I would first suspect a vent problem. It may either be clogged or nonexistent depending on the age of your building. Vents can be tied together and that's usually dictated by the location of your fixtures and whether or not it's easier to tie them together or run separate lines.

Old 10-16-15, 05:58 AM
The building was built in 1986, almost 30-years old.

The kitchen sink has also been very slow to drain, a problem going back 10 years. Running the disposal forces the water down the drain.

Not sure if the slow kitchen drain and lowering water level of the toilets are both indicators of a vent problem.

Old 10-16-15, 10:11 AM
I spoke with the plumbing contractor for our condominium complex. He asked if the toilets were back-to-back (shared wall). Yes, they are. He said it's common for back-to-back toilets to share the same drain pipe, and when you flush one toilet it draws out some water out of the bowl of the other toilet on the other side of the wall. He said if the vent pipe was plugged up, it would drain the other bowl dry and there would be a gurgling sound. His answer about both toilets back-to-back being on a shared drain pipe makes sense.