Can't find leak in plumbing.

Old 10-24-15, 12:48 PM
U
Received 5 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Can't find leak in plumbing.

Hello, I will start by saying that I have a 1993 Doublewide trailer. I crawled under it today to check that my heat tape was still working. As I crawled under the trailer I noticed a large wet spot above me. I then removed quite a bit of wet insulation. I cannot find where this leak is coming from. This area is directly below my bathroom. It is a very large area that is wet, like approx. 3ftx 3ft. and it also runs here and there. It looks as though it is directly below the tub. I would almost think that the tub itself may have a crack or something in it, but I couldn't find any. It looks as though if I were to try to get to the back side of my tub faucet I would have to cut a hole in the wall. I ran water in the tub to see if I could see anything below and I found nothing obvious. I know it's probably a long shot even asking this on here. I was hoping someone may have some advice. Thanks, all help is appreciated as always!
Jack

Old 10-24-15, 12:56 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
Fill the tub and have someone walk around in it while you check for leaks.
Anyone on any websites only going to be able to guess where it's leaking.
They use the cheapest materials they can when building these so it would surprize me if the tub was cracked.
Drains sometimes leak, if there's Quest supply lines (it's gray) they had a class action law suit against them years ago because of all the leaks.
Pipes or drain froze and caused a crack, no caulking at the base of the tub, stem packing is leaking and running down behind the wall, Ect.

Old 10-24-15, 01:34 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Do you use sliding glass door on the tub or just a curtain? Could be from water getting past the curtain during the shower itself. If it was a supply leak, it would leak at all times. Could also be the shower arm itself not sealed well inside the wall.

Old 10-24-15, 02:52 PM
U
Thanks, I wondered about leaks possibly in the wall. We just use a curtain.

Old 10-24-15, 02:59 PM
U
Thanks! I know about everyone just guessing. I figured just maybe someone with a lot more experience than I might be able to give me some ideas Thanks for your ideas as well! I have had to replace a cheap plastic tub before that was in my other bathroom. The cracks in that tub were fairly obvious as you could see them when you walked around in the tub. What sucks is not being able to see the bottom of the tub from under the trailer due to the floor being in the way

Old 10-24-15, 07:27 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
We do have a lot of experience but you have to keep in mind that we can only work with what you give us. No pictures and one paragraph about isn't a lot to work with. In the end I'm sure you have a good idea that the water has to be coming from somewhere and there are a limited number of options. finding out exactly what the problem is may require some work and investigation. Something we can't do for you.

If you want to see the bottom side of your tub "bore scope" cameras are relatively cheap these days and they can be rented from many tool rental stores. They have a camera and LED lighting on the end of a long flexible shaft and a display screen. They can be shoved through a hole if you want to see the under side of your tub.

Old 10-24-15, 09:17 PM
U
Thanks Dane! See, You gave me a great idea that I never even though of before. This would probably work with my heat ducts that I want to inspect also

Old 10-25-15, 09:41 AM
U
I also assume a leak could start in the roof and leak down through the wall and leak wherever? I got thinking about this and climbed up on the roof. Their is what looks to be a vent pipe sticking out of the roof. The vent pipe is located almost directly above where the wall above the leak would be. The boot around it looked in pretty good shape. The area around the boot where it had been sealed prior, looked a little shaky. I got up on the roof and tarred around the boot really well. Thing that sucks is I still don't know if I fixed it or not. I climbed back under their today after I took a bath and I didn't see anything dripping.

Old 10-25-15, 06:58 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Yes, a leak could be from anywhere above. A bad boot around the vent stack through the roof. A nail pop putting a hole through a shingle... You just start trying things like filling the tub and let it sit to see if you get a leak. Then let the water drain from the tub and see if you get the leak. Then try running the shower a while. If you're still not seeing the leak then it might be time to have someone on the roof with a garden hose to see if they can find the source of the problem.

Old 10-26-15, 12:18 PM
U
I found where it is coming from! I took a bath and no leaks that I could find. I ran the shower for like 15 minutes and I found it! What apparently is happening is that the pipe (s) in the wall leading to the shower head are leaking. After I ran the shower for so long, I noticed a large puddle behind the toilet. The short showers we take apparently didn't make the leak as obvious as it was after I let run for 15 minutes. Now I need to rip in to the wall and try to fix it. So, good news is I found it, bad news is it isn't that simple of fix. I thank you all for your suggestions and advice! It is greatly appreciated! I love this site! Jack

Old 10-26-15, 12:33 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Check the shower arm that leads from the shower head into the wall as a first place before you tear into walls. There should be a small plate covering the pipe and the hole in the wall. Pull the plate forward to expose the hole in the wall. You may be able to see all the way through to the drop elbow. Hold a bucket to catch the water and turn the shower on. With a flashlight, look in the hole to see if the pipe is leaking.

Old 10-27-15, 05:43 PM
U
Thanks! I shall check that before I start rippin' up the wall.
Jack

Old 11-11-15, 11:13 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hear water running but no evidence of a leak

I am on a well with a cement slab in Oklahoma. We were starting to do some home repairs and we heard the sounds of water running (more of a constantly gurgling sound like a small water fountain). We don't see any water damage. It sounds like the sound is coming from behind our bathroom sink. The bathroom sink is at the farthest part of the house from the hot water tank and well pump. Also, that bathroom is close to the septic tank buried in the yard. Any help with diagnosing where the leak is or where to start? All the piping I can see is flex pipe.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: