2nd floor tub leaked through ceiling. "shoe" and new drain not aligned? (Picture

Old 11-21-15, 05:25 PM
2nd floor tub leaked through ceiling. "shoe" and new drain not aligned? (Picture

So i hadnt noticed this before but a few months back I teplaced the drain in our tub with a new one. I used plumber putty around the tub and drain contact to get it sealed. Slowly a brown area began in my celing and it appears right along the seperation is starting to get divided. First things first I assume i need to fix this offset. Any ideas is there some extenstion I can get to make up the seperatio or what else could i do when i stick my finger down the tip of my finger can fit in the gap. Can I fix this without cutting up the ceiling at all hopefully this would fix it and them the drywall could dry up and just get another coat of paint?

Looking down new drain

The ceiling

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-15, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The pvc part of your drain is odd. Normally the metal drain piece is screwed into a flanged receiver. Yours appears to have a sink type flange. Can you clarify that for us? You may be removing part of the ceiling anyway if your drain is not properly set.

Old 11-21-15, 08:16 PM
Im sorry, I dont know how to answer your question. I bought the house in April I just took the old drain off because the cross section that the stopper goes into had rusted apart. I was hoping there is maybe some sleeve or something i could put in to remove the gap. Everything seemed to go fine until I had replaced this drain peice. Im wondering if i cause the pvc part to get misaligned.

What could I do to provide more clarification?

Thanks for the feedback

Old 11-22-15, 02:28 AM
As much as I hate to suggest it, but a picture of the drain with the chrome piece removed would help clear things up a little. Hopefully the drain piece is not cross threaded.

Old 11-22-15, 04:19 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
At bare minimum the loose drywall tape would need to be replaced, finished and retextured. IMO it wouldn't be much more work to repair a hole in the ceiling if access is needed to repair the tub.

Old 11-22-15, 07:13 AM
Ok I assumed id need to take that peice back out anyway. Ill upload more pics tonight.

I know this is the plumbing section but how do i even start to texture drywall. Hoping that its just a tape, texture repaint. Helped my friend put his ceiling back in and it was hell!

Old 11-22-15, 10:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
A knockdown texture is achieved by spraying on thinned down joint compound as a splatter coat and then taking a wide drywall knife and 'knocking down' the splatters. IMO knock down is one of the harder textures to match. How thick/thin the j/c is along with how long it sets before being knock downed determine how the texture will look.

Some will throw the j/c on the wall/ceiling with a brush and then knock it down but I've never had much luck blending in knockdown without spraying it first.

Old 11-22-15, 06:05 PM
Pic intensive!!

So I took the drain off, and took lots of pics. My assumption was there was nothing between the shoe and the drain I see now it was "threaded" into the shoe. I snaked the drain (threw up a little), put a 2nd rubber gasket in then another generous plumbers putty ring. This time I made sure to put all my effort into how tight the drain is. I am wondering if I had it this tight before, the "gap" where I would fit my fingernail before seems smaller.

I also moved the shoe and snapped a few pics to see if that helps at all. I also noticed after a shower that if I stepped on a tile up against the tub there was water "seeping" up the grout. It is all but certain I will need to eventually replace the flooring and do some work on the ceiling, the flooring was on my to do list anyway in a year or so, I have some plans to redo the whole thing. I may be crazy but thinking about removing the w/d and making it into 2 bathroom (more on that later). So anyway here are the pics.

Tomorrow I will be putting some standing water in the tub and draining it and monitoring the ceiling. I notice the ceiling does not drip from showers but if there is some standing water or what not that when I notice there is drips coming on the ceiling.

Old 11-23-15, 03:21 AM
OK, false alarm. What I was seeing was the baffle below, thinking it was a different type fitting. With the drain partially installed, can you pull the drain tight up against the tub? It is odd that you would picture tile with broken grout. This can be a problem area if the tile were not laid properly and splash out water is leaking past everything. I have seen tile laid directly on plywood where the grout is cracking and water pours past it, because there is nothing to stop it. Get out of the shower dripping and all the water goes through the floor to the ceiling below.

Old 11-23-15, 05:41 AM
Not sure if I gave a good description of the cracked tile pic. It was fine one second and then when i step on it or put my weight on it i noticed water coming up from the floor if that makes sense?.

I wont begin to fantasize that the people that originally built this place cared about what they were doing, so you may be right that its just laid on top of the wood. we got a fairly good deal on the place and I knew going into it that some work would be needed but nothing at tuis time makes the house unlivable. I am motivated to DIY what I can, and i did plan to eventually replace this floor if not completely redo the bathroom but that was something 1-2 years down the line.

Im sorry I dont understand what you mean by "pull the drain tight up against the tub". I used pliers on the cross section while screwing it back in and this time i was also "lifting" the drain while screwing it in as it got tight i took a screw driver to add leverage and keep turning. I completely reinstalled the drain did you wante to undo it again to complete what you were asking?

As mentioned previously we will keep monitoring the tile and ceiling after showers and in a day or so we will also put the stopper in to test the drainage if it comes out on the ceiling or not.

Thanks so much to everyone sticking with me on this and helping me out! Cant wait to say its 100% fixed!

Old 11-24-15, 03:56 AM
If you are able to install the drain to where it is tight against the rubber washer and tub bottom as well as using plumber's putty on top between the flange of the drain and tub, you should be just fine. If you are seeing water in the tiles, I doubt it is coming from the drain area. It could be splash out that soaks in too fast and never dries up. Properly installed underlayment and tile will provide a better condition. Are you finding this anomaly just at the edge of the tub area? Do you have shower doors or curtain?

Old 11-24-15, 08:38 AM
The threads on the drain piece appear to be tapered in the picture. If true, could be the drain threads get tight before pulling the drain pipe and gasket against the bottom of the tub.
I also have installed fiberglass tub that leaked at the drain because the tub's bottom surface around the drain hole was so uneven the rubber gasket still leaked when the drain was tight. The solution was to bondo a donut around the drain hole (to match the rubber seal ring) and finish it flat and smooth. This would require removing the ceiling below the drain. Hope this helps.

Old 11-24-15, 02:09 PM
I am not sure how I can test your drain taper theory.. all signs point to an eventual replacent of the ceiling . Can you show an image of this donut bondo job you did? As of this weekend no one will use tje shower for a few days so I will see if the water seepage is still there. We have a shower curtain which I just replaced with a heavy material the tile isnt wet when I shower so im assuming thats not it.. Hopefully it is that simple though. ..

Old 11-25-15, 11:17 AM
Where it is tight against the rubber washer.

Im assuming you mean as i screwed in the drain it brought the "shoe" up and eventually mad a seal. I cant say for sure without seeing it. One thing I noticed was 12 hours after anyone had showered there was still a faint bit of water coming up through the grout of the tile.

Old 11-25-15, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Wood can soak up a fair amount of moisture so that doesn't necessarily rule out it being a drain issue.

Old 11-25-15, 02:11 PM
The only problem I see in it being from the drain is the drain exits through a hole and is not connected to nor is is close to wood in most instances. Water would fall directly down to the ceiling below. You may not have a drain problem at all, as it could be from a leaking supply line dripping down onto the floor and running over to the floored area.

Old 11-28-15, 08:25 PM
Wonder how i xan tell rip up flooring first or cut into ceiling. Only reason i think its drain related is because it never actively dripped from the ceiling until the day we had abiut 6 inches of water in the tub. I still havent tested the drain with the standing water in it to see if it drips again

Old 11-29-15, 03:21 AM
Ceiling is much easier to repair than flooring, and what flooring would you remove? Test the drain with standing water, and if you get a drip, remove a damaged section of ceiling and see where the water comes from, if at all from the drain.

Old 11-29-15, 05:45 AM
I'm getting in late. Here's a couple of things I notice:

- When you removed the tub drain to take pictures, I don't see much putty remaining on the underside of drain flange or on the tub.

- You moved the drain shoe out of the way to take pictures. This to me indicates slip tube fittings inside the walls. If this is true, than the pipes were disturbed and might be leaking.

To fix this, I recommend you gain access to the fittings. Either access through the wall behind shower or through the ceiling below. Either can be fixed, back wall is easier if you can get to it.

Clean the drain flange and the tub surface.
Apply a generous bead of putty to underside of flange.
Apply Teflon paste to the drain male threads.
Loosen shoe (if slip tube), align drain shoe hole with tub hole and tighten drain from above.
Reconnect/tighten fittings where drain shoe connects to drain tee. Put Teflon paste on the compression rings of any slip tube fittings inside walls.

This should be an easy fix, but I would want to see everything and fix this right the first time.

Old 11-30-15, 11:40 AM
Ok Ill be doing the test in a few days been out of town. When i put the drain beck on i put a large amount of the putty in between the drain and the tub of course as I tightened it, the putty came out from under the drain die to compression. Im hoping the ossue was that I just did a poor job installing the drain the first time and did not screw it down as hard as I could.

My concern with cutting into the drywall while its already damaged is i have no clue how ill be able to make it obvious the texture wasnt messed with.

Regarding the floore i assume inderneath these tiles is just particle board. Another big task I wanted to tackle was replace the crappy subfloor in the entire upstairs.

I will report back my findings on the tub experiment soon!

Old 11-30-15, 12:35 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since you have to repair the loose tape anyway - texture will be involved. You can practice applying the texture to cardboard [or whatever] first. If you don't like how it looks on the ceiling it isn't a real big deal to scrape it off while wet or sand once it dries.

Old 12-02-15, 07:22 AM
Ok so i gilled the tub up with a couple inches of water and let it drain, this time there was no report of dripping from the ceiling. Before I feel like in out of the woods i may fill the tub up completely and see what happens.

Next "oddity" while draining just from the tub I saw almost no moisture seeping up through the grout. Confusing indeed!

Old 12-02-15, 02:03 PM
I doubt any drain issue would be involved with the adjacent flooring since the drain is not touching the subflooring. If you took two cups of water and poured near the edge of the tub, I bet the drip will be duplicated, indicating splashed water or body draining water is involved.

Old 12-02-15, 06:40 PM
Ok it just is weird how it only happens during showers we got a curtain thats pretty good now the surrounding floor is not wet just seems like its water that penetrates the grout my big project was to remove all of the subfloor upstairs and put down laminate. Do i am thinking i hot the leak taken care of just by tightening it. Wondering if i can get away with just a white voat of paint. Not gonna look amazing but im hoping its passable for now

Old 12-07-15, 05:46 AM
Hey all, it appears the issue of the ceiling leak is gone now. I will come back to this thread when im ready to tackle repairing the ceiling im wondering if just a quick coat of white paint will help for now. Since the issue is not getting worse on the ceiling i think ill move that down on the priority list and worry about adressing the water coming up from je floor after a shower.

Chandler you wxplain your theory is the water is likey just from splash over durong showers. Is this something I should be ale to resolve? Regarding the flooring you asked what Id remove. I meant remove the tile (loose anyway) and see if maybe the flooring underneath is getting rotted or maybe I can trace where its coming from underneath.

In the mext year or 2 I might be crazy but id like to take out the washer/dryer and move it to a stackable then take out the bathtub and use the spacing to make 2 small private baths (1 standing shower, corner sink, toilet). Also One thing Id like to do eventually is rip up all the carpets and flooring on the second floor and put down laminate. On the whole second floor. I can already tell when this is done I will need to put in a new subfloor as well. So ill be active in thatsubforum in shortly as well.