Toilet bowl water low but fill valve looks fine

Old 12-15-15, 04:06 PM
Toilet bowl water low but fill valve looks fine

Awhile ago I flushed some pieces of chicken down the toilet and ever since then my toilet bowl water is low. Was that why? Who knows, I just noticed it happened after that so I figured I would throw that out there. Despite this, the toilet still flushes fine and does not have a problem removing waste.

When I flush the toilet, there seems to be great water pressure to the refill tube, lots of water released into the fill tube, yet the water in the toilet bowl remains very low. I made a video below showing what it's like. Excuse my lack of correct vocabulary. I tried. Not sure what to do. I looked up online but everyone seemed to say when the toilet bowl water is low its because not enough water is going down the fill tube, but as you can see in the video it looks like a lot is. When I compared it to my other toilets it seems like the water is coming out into the refill tube faster in the problematic toilet then the other toilets in the house. The other toilets the water comes out slower yet fills the bowls perfectly.

I rarely take videos so sorry for poor quality. Thanks in advance for any help!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNzK...ature=youtu.be

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-15, 04:25 PM
Group Moderator
Good video.

Looks like a good flow into the bowl. You could try raising the level a bit in the tank which will allow the bowl to fill a little more.

In the picture... the arrow is pointing to a clip. You squeeze that clip from the top and bottom and then the float will move. Try sliding the float up a little bit on the wire.... maybe 3/4" of an inch.

Name:  flush.JPG
Views: 782
Size:  21.7 KB

Old 12-15-15, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the picture. So I just went and tried it. When I pinch that metal piece I can slide the float down but not up. So I guess it is at the highest yet still the problem with low water in the bowl.

Old 12-15-15, 05:02 PM
A vent could be blocked. This would cause the water to be siphoned out of the bowl.

Another possibility is that your fill valve is filling the bowl too high, causing a slight "flush", lowering the level.

You might want to change the fill valve and see if that does it.

Edit: Watched the video after posting, I'm thinking academy award

Old 12-15-15, 05:10 PM
Group Moderator
After the flush..... the siphoning should stop as the bowl fills.
It is ok to overfill the bowl. The water should just run over the trap.

In the picture... you have plenty of room to slide the float. You may have to hold the wire while you slide it.

Old 12-15-15, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Try closing the valve a bit at the toilet to slow the fill. I agree probably filling too fas into the bowl

lower the water in the tank and try that too. this will shorten the fill..

I believe that the origial flapper for that toilet had a dobber on it.. Do you have a brand name of toiler? Look under lid for year and model possibly..

But thats a terrible flush. looks to have a partial blockage.. Drop 8 wads of toilet paper in there and flush. post the results..

Old 12-15-15, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
In the picture... you have plenty of room to slide the float. You may have to hold the wire while you slide it.
Its at its limit.. Raising the water level will do nothing. its fine where it is.. thats a 3.5 gallon model for sure...

You would need to raise the fill valve to get the water higher.. The lock ring pulls down to adjust.. Dont try it if you never done it before..

Old 12-15-15, 05:21 PM
Group Moderator
Whoops...you're right. I was trying to get enough water for the Tidy Bowl man.

Old 12-15-15, 05:25 PM
Here's some more detail that I forgot. Every once in awhile, though not often at all. I will flush the toilet, walk away and then a little bit later hear another tiny flush, but the bowl is never that full at all.

PJ I did go in and pinch the metal piece but the float only moves down. If I move it up, the large black float hits up against the rubber tube that leads to the fill tube and doesn't move.

I did think about it possibly being a vent issue as I read about that. I live in a town house. This toilet is on the 2nd level and the other toilets are on the 3rd level. If the other toilets flush fine, could it still be a vent issue?

EDIT: Just saw other comments, checking now.

Old 12-15-15, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Normally they twist to adjust. But its done before the fill valve gets installed.

After install if I get the height wrong I reach in and pull the lock ring up and hold the top of fill valve. You can then adjust up or down to where you want.. ( Do this with water off)...

Then push lock ring back down and clip in place...

Demo of the lock ring....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d7uZYFu_ZA

Old 12-15-15, 05:35 PM
So the toilet is American Standard 6.0 Lpf / 1.6 gpf When I lifted the lid it said Nov 11 but didn't seem to have a year. Place was built in 89 and I think they are all the original toilets. All are American Standard but two upstairs are American Standard Plebe and have a date of 88. Toilet valve isn't the regular valve that just turns it is one of those ones that looks like this so I'm not sure how they work:

Old 12-15-15, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
All are American Standard but two upstairs are American Standard Plebe and have a date of 88.
I installed those as a kid 23 years old. They were the best toilets of the day... Im 50 now..

The plebe toilets IMO should all be replaced. As the flush shows and what I know is the passage ways get all calcified. Hence the long slow bowl fill up and flush...

Thats not a 1.6 gpl anymore cause of the wrong flapper..

Should have the dobber as I state.. But you may not get a flush at all if you lower the water or put the right flapper in...

Old 12-15-15, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator
Again my advice replace the toilets...

American standard champion 4 would be my choice. all I use and install..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]60094[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Old 12-15-15, 05:54 PM
disregard this message as I got your other one.

Old 12-15-15, 06:02 PM
I guess I just want to understand the physics/mechanics of it as it wasn't happening before.

Where is the water going then that is going down into the fill tube?

My understanding was the water comes up into the toilet tank through the fill valve. It is then dispersed into the tank as well as continuing up the fill valve, then through the refill tube, and into the fill tube that then puts all of that water into the toilet bowl. So if the water is going into the fill tube to the toilet bowl and there is a lot of it, why isn't the bowl filling up?

Old 12-15-15, 06:13 PM
Super Moderator
So if the water is going into the fill tube to the toilet bowl and there is a lot of it, why isn't the bowl filling up?
Siphoning due to a partial clog. Did you do the toilet paper test?

How did you get the chicken out?

You need to auger the toilet to be sure blockage is clear. Plunger may not get it out..

Thats my opinion..

Old 12-15-15, 06:17 PM
Will try the auger lawrosa. Thanks for your patience in explaining I appreciate it. The toilet had not had trouble with flushing waste with toilet paper in it.

Old 12-15-15, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator
try to pinch the fill tube with a close pin to reduce the flow.. Try lowing the water...

The thing is you said it only changed after you flushed chicken down there...

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-15-15 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-14-16, 01:43 PM
Larosa and others....update: So I haven't done anything to try and fix this issue. I've been dealing with other things in life and it wasn't a big priority since it still flushes. But the update is now my two toilets upstairs, one that hardly ever gets used, is having the same problem only not as bad. The water in the toilet itself not the tank has decreased about two inches in both upstairs toilets. This makes me think the original toilet doesn't have a clog but that it is probably the toilet roof vent pipe. Do you think with the addition of the two upstairs toilets not filling as they used to that I am right with my assumption of toilet vent pipe? I know you don't like these old toilets but I'm thinking its the vent pipe since it's happening to the toilets basically all at once.

When looking online it says to fix this issue to get on the roof with garden hose and feed down the vent pipe with the hose and turn on the water and/or use a snake on the vent pipe. Correct?

Thanks again!

Old 02-19-16, 05:04 PM
Bump, anyone? See my post right above this one.

Old 02-19-16, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
No vent pipe issue IMO and I been doing this a long time... Water will flow without a vent...

Old 02-22-16, 07:02 PM
Thanks Larosa. The last time we spoke you mentioned that I should snake the original toilet. What do you think could be the problem for the two upstairs toilets basically dropping 2 inches in water at the same time?