Fixing old leaky bathroom faucet

Old 12-17-15, 08:33 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fixing old leaky bathroom faucet

I'm trying to fix an old bathroom faucet that drips water out unless you press hard when shutting off the water. This happened on a newer pfister faucet I had, and the fix for that was to remove the handle and replace the cartridge.

The faucet that's leaking right now is much older, and I can't figure out how to take it apart. I removed the two philips screws on the top of the handles, and tried to remove the handles, but they won't budge. I have not tried a handle puller yet since I don't even know if they're supposed to come off that way. If anyone is familiar with the type of faucet in the attached picture, I'd appreciate any help.

I have no idea how old the faucet is, I'd guess at least 30 years old. I should also mention I didn't see any set screws or anything, just the two philips screws on top, and 3 hex nuts under the sink holding the faucet to the sink. Also the stream of water was a little too close to the faucet for me, so I have one of those rotating aerators installed.

Name:  old.faucet.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  25.1 KB

Old 12-17-15, 11:23 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You were on the right track. Remove the screws again. Try some PB Blaster, tap the handles a little & try to pry them upwards.

Old 12-18-15, 06:43 AM
J
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Once the screws out try two wide flat bladed screw drivers under the handle, should just pop off.

Old 12-18-15, 07:28 PM
A
Success, thanks guys.

Name:  handles.off.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  18.8 KB

Old 12-18-15, 08:03 PM
That's the best looking 30 year old faucet I've ever seen.

They're usually corroded long before that.

Old 12-18-15, 09:59 PM
A
Yeah, it does seem to be in pretty good shape. The plumbing under the sink has some corrosion though, as seen in the first attached picture below.

Name:  under.small.sink.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  29.6 KB

My parents bought this house back in 2008, and from what I understand it was a second home for an older woman. Not being a full time residence for her has proven to be both good, and bad. This house has some very unique plumbing though..

Here's a picture of the trap under the main bathroom sink. I always hear a gurgling type sound when the toilet in that bathroom is flushed, like air or water is going back up in that direction.

Name:  under.main.bath.sink.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  18.3 KB

Attached are some pictures from below the kitchen sink. There was no way to access this plumbing until a year and a half ago. A year and a half ago we had a plumber come over to remove what was probably the original 1930's galvanized drain plumbing from the basement, and replace it with pvc. While using his sawzall to remove the galvanized piping, the vibrations must have created a leak from the kitchen sink basket. I recently replaced the basket again, and after taking everything apart, I'm not surprised it leaked. I wish I had a picture of the old basket, but it basically wasn't even threaded in at the bottom, it was somehow just sitting in/on the pipe below. In hindsight I don't think it was even the basket that was leaking, but the tailpiece washer, which on our unique setup is below the dishwasher T.

Anyways, when he went to inspect the leak, there was no way to see the plumbing, shelves in the way. I had played with the shelves before this event, and had no idea how to access the plumbing without removing the dishwasher. So we decided that he should just go to town with the sawzall, and remove the tiny shelving that was basically worthless anyways. He fixed the leaky basket, and here are some pictures of what it looks like now. It looked a littler nicer until a few days ago, when I removed everything to work on the leaky plumbing again.

The plumber also mentioned there's no vent on the kitchen plumbing, and when asked how hard that would be to fix, his reaction made me think it wouldn't be too easy with our house setup.
Name:  kitchen.plumbing.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  26.5 KB
Name:  kitchen.dishwasher.t.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  31.9 KBName:  kitchen.trap.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  27.4 KBName:  kitchen.plumbing.from.basement.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  23.1 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question