Mating Sink Drain to a "Laundry" Pump

Old 01-18-16, 07:27 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Mating Sink Drain to a "Laundry" Pump

I'm putting in a little bar sink in my basement for liquids. I've run hot and cold and plumbed in a drain to my septic line that's above the sink and entire run slopes up so I need a pump to pump the sink water up into septic line.

Saw that I needed this "pump" via a This Old House clip.

Sink I have is an Elkay Neptune that has a "2in center drain opening".
ELKAY | Neptune® All-in-One Stainless Steel Single Bowl Top Mount Bar Sink + Faucet Kit HD320874LFR
http://www.elkay.com/wcsstore/lkdocs...heets/n-64.pdf

Pump I'm going to buy is a Bur-Cam from Menard's.
Menards Link
Data Sheet Link

I guess my question is... will the inlet of that pump screw right on to the sink?

There's that white "union" but it doesn't say what size or anything that it is. And all I know is that the sink has a "2in center drain opening" that measures at 1.82in in diameter on the threads that some big nuts are on to hold it in the sink basin.

My drain I ran to the septic line is 1.5" PVC so I'm sure I'll be able to cobble together the PVC connection from the discharge into my drain, just not sure about attaching the pump inlet to the sink strainer thread.

Name:  IMG_20160118_222433235 (1).jpg
Views: 435
Size:  29.3 KB

Any ideas before I special order this pump?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-18-16, 08:10 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
It should screw right on. That bottom nut in your picture normally holds the sink tailpiece on. In your case, you won't have a tail piece so you won't use that nut. The top half of the union supplied with the pump will screw onto those threads. The upper nut holds the drain into the sink.

Old 01-19-16, 06:20 AM
M
Thanks for the reply carbide. I just wasn't sure if the diameter and thread on my strainer body and the diameter/thread on the union coming with the pump were the same size. I guess if they're not I'd hopefully be able to find an adapter? I'm going to order it this evening unless someone can offer a better solution here.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-19-16, 06:58 AM
C
Can't be positive, because the pump info isn't really specific, But there are only a couple of common drain basket sizes so I think it will fit.

I think that's a reasonable solution for a bar sink given you have to use a pump. There are alternatives like: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DEOFLW/...l_7tk757p6sr_b

But it is designed to handle a higher volume of water like from a washing machine and is probably overkill for your situation. And it requires a vent connection which you may not have. My only thought about the pump you picked is that it may be a tad noisy since it mounts directly to the sink. One would hope they designed it to minimize that problem. Scanning the reviews on Amazon (no reviews on menards site), didn't see any complaints about noise.

Old 01-19-16, 07:25 AM
M
Yeah I was kind of surprised at the lack of options to do this. The clip I saw on TV made it seem like these pumps were pretty common. I guess worse case I take the union and basket to the hardware store and stay there until they're connected. The motor mounts to a vertical surface, I'm actually thinking about mounting the motor with some rubber grommets and then using flex hose to connect to the sink and plumbing to reduce noise. Plus makes mounting a little easier and my bar, while quite heavy, isn't attached to the floor so it could possibly move and the soft connection to plumbing would be good there.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 01-19-16, 06:50 PM
M
Ok so another question regarding the sink... figured I'd ask here than start another topic.
What is the cheapest, simplest way to connect my hot and cold 3/8" Sharkbite PEX to the faucet? There's two big brass threaded tubes and then in the sink kit was two brass nuts that kinda look like compression fittings. Directions say no putty needed, fittings seal themselves. The directions say "Use 1/2" IPS faucet connections or use the supplied coupling nuts with 3/8" O.D.ball-nose risers."

So... bare 3/8" Sharkbite coming out of the wall and I want to get that connected to the two externally-threaded brass tubes that come through sink basin.

Tubing: SharkBite 3/8 in. x 100 ft. Red PEX Pipe-U855R100 - The Home Depot

If possible, links to Home Depot would be excellent!

Mike

Old 01-19-16, 07:44 PM
C
Install 1/4 turn stops on the pex. Look like this, but if you really have 3/8 pex you'll have to find them for 3/8. If you can't find them for 3/8 pex, you can use a 3/8 pex to 1/2" threaded fitting and get a stop valve made for threaded connection.

SharkBite 1/2 in. Chrome-Plated Brass PEX Barb x 3/8 in. Compression Quarter-Turn Angle Stop Valve-23058LF - The Home Depot

Then throw away the nut and compression ring on the stop, and the nuts on your faucet, and install two of these of appropriate length:

Homewerks Worldwide 3/8 in. O.D. x 1/2 in. IPS x 12 in. Faucet Supply Line Braided Stainless Steel-7223-12-38-2 - The Home Depot

Make sure you get the ones for faucet connection; the ones for toilet connection are different.

Don't overtighten them. Finger tight then one more turn.

Old 01-20-16, 04:19 AM
M
Thanks for the links. I hope I can find the valves in 3/8 to fit my pex. It really is 3/8 cause I bought all 1/2 and when I went to go hook it up to the manifold it was too big and the extra fittings the builder left were too small. So I had to return the 1/2 and order 3/8 online. Pita. Thanks!

Mike

Old 01-20-16, 06:54 AM
C
Here's another way to go. Use a 3/8 pex to 1/2 copper stub out, then use a sweat (if you're comfortable soldering copper pipe) or compression stop valve, which are easy to find.

3/8 in. Inlet x 1/2 in. Copper 6 in. Stub-Out 90-Degree Elbow-23069 - The Home Depot

After you mount the stub out and connect and test the pex, you cut the end off the stub out with a tubing cutter and attach the stop.

Old 01-20-16, 08:36 AM
M
That could work too. I've done solder on copper before when I installed my water softener. I'd really like to use push to connect fitting on the pex though cause while the crimp bands are cheap I don't have a crimp tool, unless I could rent it from somewhere?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: