Can I totally encase my shower in glass?

Old 01-21-16, 10:22 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can I totally encase my shower in glass?

I am remodeling my shower with a curbless pan and tiling up to and including the ceiling above the shower. I would like to have the glass enclosure go from the floor all the way to the ceiling (8 feet). I do not have an exhaust fan in the room, just a window. Is this advisable? What are the draw backs? (besides cleaning all that glass)

Old 01-21-16, 10:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,905 Upvotes on 1,711 Posts
You will be more likely to get mold and mildew if fresh air can't get in there to lower the humidity. If you have an open walk in doorway or just plan on leaving the door open I don't see a problem. If not, stop the glass 12" from the ceiling or use some pivoting transom glass panels on top.

Old 01-21-16, 11:58 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I've seen the glass run all the way to the ceiling in hotels. You should see the short cleaning people try to get the water spots off the top sections so keep in mind how you will keep the glass up there clean.

Old 01-21-16, 01:38 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
The glass above 6 ft is a waste of money as it is not doing anything functional. You also need some air to mix while in the shower or you will be taking a sauna in addition to the shower. And as X has stated, you need for the tile to dry out or you will have mold and mildew problems. A window only helps with moisture dissipation if it is open. If you never open it, you have no way of venting the moisture to the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: