Can you flatten out a stainless kitchen sink with bowed flanges?

Old 01-28-16, 06:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you flatten out a stainless kitchen sink with bowed flanges?

Wife and I just got new solid surface counter tops installed, we were limited to a single bowl sink by the size of our cabinets, so I found a fairly nice looking Franke single bowl sink at Lowes and we bought it.

I put it in last night, the clips are junky and the flanges bow up in the middle on the front and sides. I just found out that this sink doesn't have the best reviews and the number 1 complaint is that the clips don't work well enough to actually help pull the sink down flush with the counter top (I've never installed a sink before so I don't know).

Sooo...it's in my counter with silicone on it and everything's hooked up so too late to return it or do anything else. I filled it almost completely with water last night, then put a scrap piece of the counter (the piece they cut out for the sink) across the flange of the sink and put a 50 lb bag of gravel on top to try to flatten out the flange while the silicone cured. Think this will work? Does silicone really have much holding power in this application? I'm going to run a small bead around the outside too because I can't tell it won't be very water resistant as it is.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-16, 07:11 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I don't know if it will work. Guess you'll be able to tell us in a little while At least gravity is working with you.

But if it happened to me, I wouldn't hesitate to disconnect it and remove it, and take it back, gobs of silicone and all, and demand a refund. It is, after all, defective. I would hope Lowes would be reasonable about it.

If your solution doesn't work perfectly, It's going to bother you every time you use the sink.

Old 01-28-16, 07:17 AM
Agreed on returning it. The silicone won't hold for long.
You can go to a plumbing store and purchase new clips, but the clips are rather expensive, maybe $25 or 30 for a box.

You need a good seal, the last thing you want is water making it's way into the sink base cabinet.

Old 01-28-16, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
Most of the home goods stores claim "satisfaction guaranteed".

From Lowe's....
Customer satisfaction is our goal. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, simply return the merchandise to any Lowe's store in the U.S. within 90* days. We, in our discretion, will repair it, replace it, or, based on your method of payment with a valid receipt, refund your money.

Old 01-28-16, 02:12 PM
Received 21 Votes on 16 Posts
I can't believe you would spend the money on new solid surface countertops and then buy a cheapy sink. Return it to Lowes and get a good one.

Old 01-28-16, 04:30 PM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
I agree, just because it's installed does not mean you can't fall back on the warranty. I have a Franke double bowl deep sink I bought when we remolded our Kitchen and it installed perfectly and has performed without incident. And It looks good.

Old 01-28-16, 04:37 PM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
To late now but you should have ordered an under mount sink with those new tops.
Even a cast steel or cast iron enameled, or composite sink would have worked out better.

Old 01-28-16, 04:49 PM
Received 59 Votes on 57 Posts
To late now but you should have ordered an under mount sink with those new tops.
Even a cast steel or cast iron enameled, or composite sink would have worked out better.
Strictly a mater of personal taste. I for one cannot stand under mount sinks. I don't think they look good. And they are not an easy DIY repair or replacement. And if they are not installed just perfect you will have all kinds of problems. Replacement will usually require a pro to remove them and install a new one. Your faucet holes are set in stone (so to speak). So if down the road you want to change just a sink and faucet, you're looking at a mini remodel job.

Old 01-29-16, 08:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Stainless can be flattened but it takes some skill and the right tools. Bending metal stretches it which makes it difficult to straighten and come out perfect. To do it would require dismounting the sink and at that point I'd be going for a new sink.

Old 02-04-16, 04:32 AM
Our cabinets limit us to a 22x25" single bowl sink. This Franke one was literally the only one I saw in stock that was 8" deep (they had others this size that were shallower). Lowe's website shows some Kohler one for $199 that I didn't see in the store, that seems to have the same sort of complaints the Franke one does.

Eh whatever. I ran a bead of silicone around it on the outside edge, it's not too bad. I couldn't get it quite flat but it looks alright. If I really hate it that much I'll replace it in a couple years.

Oh and to joecaption: We had the option of an undermount sink, but the only free options with our countertop were white or beige acrylic (the stainless ones were $200+ $300 to install with the counters). Our old sink was a white enameled cast iron and I hated that thing, it always looked dirty. I would never install a another white sink.